Welcome! Melbourne Men's Group Inc (MMG) is an incorporated, not for profit, volunteer organisation of men, for men. Since 1998 we have been facilitating free, open, accessible Men’s Group meetings and transformational learning programs. We have no political or religious affiliations.
MMG meetings are open to any man who wishes to participate. There are no prerequisites for participating. You will not be asked what your job is, how much money your earn, which car you drive or the football team you follow!!
The men that participate in MMG meetings and learning programs are typically between 20-80 years of age. There are Men's group meetings held at 4 different locations each month:
At its heart, MMG promotes men's personal growth. We do this through the development of authentic meaningful relationships (firstly with yourself) and by enabling enhanced well-being and community. Our aim since 1998 has been to create an authentic, healthy, balanced and effective Australian masculinity 'that integrates the head with the heart', loosening the 'emotional straight jacket' men in Australia are socialised within, and that typically holds you back from being more authentic and achieving 'wholeness'.
What happens at Meetings?
There is no agenda, no 'data dump', no presentation from an 'expert', no-one trying to sell you anything.
MMG meetings focus on a Talking Circle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_circle) as a primary means of interaction and sharing. The talking circle is an equitable non-hierarchical setting where all have the opportunity to genuinely share and learn, leveraging collective wisdom to promote real insight and personal growth.
By participating in the meetings you have the opportunity to:
• increase real connection
• be listened to and genuinely heard
• be safe sharing feelings and perspectives
• speak honestly, openly and confidentially without judgement
• develop authentic friendships that are not based on your job, the car you drive or the sporting team you follow!
By joining the Melbourne Men's Group you agree that:
• to the best of your ability, you will speak 'from the heart' and share how you are feeling.
• whoever holds the 'talking stick', holds the floor and everyone else listens.
• you can pass along the 'talking stick' without having to speak in the Talking Circle.
• anything discussed at Melbourne Men's Group meetings remains completely confidential.
• you will not give immediate feedback to a person speaking in the Talking Circle. (Our experience over many years tells us that providing immediate feedback can be a barrier to free, authentic and ongoing sharing as the feedback is often attached to an unconscious ‘judgement’).
• we do not seek to solve issues or otherwise ‘fix’ anyone, because we believe you are not ‘broken’. However, you can always learn more.
• counselling and/or professional advice is not offered nor provided at Melbourne Men's Group meetings.
• feedback from other group members can be sought after the Talking Circle is closed.
We believe it is important for Men to invest in ongoing personal growth to (i) deepen emotional intelligence, take responsibility for our lives and move toward a balanced mature masculinity, and (ii) to be as good as we can be for ourselves and for the people around us.