What we're about
Welcome! Melbourne Men's Group (MMG) is an incorporated, not for profit, registered charity and volunteer organisation of men, for men founded in 1998.
What we have learned over almost 25 years is that good relationships are ‘good medicine’ – they keep us healthier and happier, period. The vulnerability and depth that exists, how safe you feel sharing, the extent to which you can relax and be seen for who you truly are, and to see another, is foundational to happiness.
MMG offers regular, reliable and highly trusted Men's Group meetings, personal growth workshops and mentoring, in addition to an active network of like minded men.
Meetings are free; open to any man of any age; and accessible. At meetings there is no Agenda, no 'presentation from an expert', no-one trying to sell you anything and no-one trying to 'fix' you! Counselling and/or professional advice is not offered nor provided at meetings.
Note: you will not be asked what your job is, how much money you earn, the type of car you drive or the football team you follow - that 'currency' has no value here.
We have no political or religious affiliations.
Our leadership team ranges in age from 25 to 70 years of age. Details about the MMG team can be found on our website here.
We have a 'three no-show' policy on RSVP's. If you don't attend a meeting that you have committed to attend, and this happens three times, it is likely that you will be unregistered from the Meetup group.
The men that participate in MMG meetings and learning programs are typically between 20-70 years of age. There are meetings held at 4 different locations each month:
• Central Chapter - Collingwood (1st Tuesday)
• Southern Chapter - Highett (2nd Tuesday)
• Western Chapter - Werribee South (3rd Tuesday), and
• Eastern Chapter - Doncaster East (4th Tuesday).
Authentic Man – Face 2 Face Focus Group
To supplement the regular men's group meetings, the Authentic Man – Face 2 Face focus group offers a more in depth opportunity to explore what may be going on for you by allowing the ability for other men to actively discuss issues. This is facilitated by one of our members who is a professional counsellor/facilitator. More details can be found here.
The patron of Melbourne Men's Group is world renowned author, family activist and psychologist Steve Biddulph AM.
What happens at Meetings?
MMG meetings focus on a Talking Circle as the primary means of interaction. The talking circle is an equitable, non-judgemental setting where everyone has the opportunity to genuinely share and learn, leveraging collective wisdom to promote insight and personal growth.
By participating in the meetings you have the opportunity to:
• increase real connection
• be listened to and genuinely heard
• be safe sharing feelings and perspectives
• speak honestly, openly and confidentially without judgement
• develop authentic friendships.
By joining the Melbourne Men's Group you agree that:
• to the best of your ability, you will speak 'from the heart' and share how you are feeling.
• whoever holds the 'talking stick', holds the floor and everyone else listens.
• you can pass along the 'talking stick' without any obligation to speak in the Talking Circle.
• anything discussed at Melbourne Men's Group meetings remains completely confidential.
• you will not give immediate feedback to a person speaking in the Talking Circle. (Our experience tells us that providing immediate feedback can be a barrier to free, authentic and ongoing sharing as the feedback is often attached to an unconscious ‘judgement’).
• we do not seek to solve issues or otherwise ‘fix’ anyone, because we believe you are not ‘broken’. However, you can always learn more.
• feedback from other group members can be sought after the Talking Circle is closed.
We believe it is important for Men to invest in ongoing personal growth to (i) deepen emotional intelligence, take responsibility for our lives and move toward a balanced mature masculinity, and (ii) to be as good as we can be for ourselves and for the people around us.
So, we encourage Men to consider investing in personal growth programs including our flagship workshop Man’s Inner Journey which has been presented continuously since 1997; and other men's personal growth work (e.g. The Mankind Project or Soulcraft ANZ etc).
Contributions to cover the cost of the Men’s group meeting facilities, supper, website etc, are not required but are greatly appreciated and can be made via our website, or using your bank account PayID: payments @mensgroup.melbourne or in person.
Web sites: Melbourne Men’s Group, Man’s Inner Journey, Facebook
© Melbourne Men’s Group Incorporated (No. A0092192U)
Upcoming events (4+)
This content is available only to members