MMG meetings focus on a Talking Circle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_circle) as the primary means of interaction. The talking circle is an equitable, non-judgemental setting where everyone has the opportunity to genuinely share and learn, leveraging collective wisdom to promote insight and personal growth.
By participating in the meetings you have the opportunity to:
• increase real connection
• be listened to and genuinely heard
• be safe sharing feelings and perspectives
• speak honestly, openly and confidentially without judgement
By joining the Melbourne Men's Group you agree that:
• to the best of your ability, you will speak 'from the heart' and share how you are feeling.
• whoever holds the 'talking stick', holds the floor and everyone else listens.
• you can pass along the 'talking stick' without any obligation to speak in the Talking Circle.
• anything discussed at Melbourne Men's Group meetings remains completely confidential.
• you will not give immediate feedback to a person speaking in the Talking Circle. (Our experience tells us that providing immediate feedback can be a barrier to free, authentic and ongoing sharing as the feedback is often attached to an unconscious ‘judgement’).
• we do not seek to solve issues or otherwise ‘fix’ anyone, because we believe you are not ‘broken’. However, you can always learn more.
• feedback from other group members can be sought after the Talking Circle is closed.
• your RSVP intention to attend/not attend a meeting is kept up to date
We believe it is important for Men to invest in ongoing personal growth to (i) deepen emotional intelligence, take responsibility for our lives and move toward a balanced mature masculinity, and (ii) to be as good as we can be for ourselves and for the people around us.