Welcome to the Brighton WordPress Meetup Group. We aim to meet on the last Monday of the month. Whether you're a designer, developer, blogger, content manager or anyone else who deals with WordPress, come along, learn and meet some like-minded souls.
🗣 Tim Nash - Going to the dark side, they have cookies.
Everyone should be a little bit worried about the security of their site, and at conferences, lots of security talks focus on practical steps people can take. In this talk, Tim will flip the norms and instead focus on several real examples of sites being hacked but from the attackers perspective. We will see the whole attacks from the bad actors view identifying targets, analysing vulnerable sites, adding payload, exploiting in doing so showing how sites are infected, how some tools do prevent certain attacks and how clever and indeed not so clever bad actors can circumvent lots of hardening done.
Each step we can analyse what could have been put in place to prevent and frustrate the attack and then look at how this can be implemented on your site.
Tim is the 34SP.com WordPress Platform Lead & Developer advocate. He is responsible for the management of the WordPress platform and keeping thousands of sites running fast and staying secure. He is also known to give the odd talk here and there and when he can blog and appear randomly on Youtube. Tims own site is timnash.co.uk and he writes about everything from security to home automation with a healthy dose of WordPress and humour.
🍕Catchup with the WordPress community in Brighton, fuelled by drinks and pizza courtesy of our lovely sponsors 34sp.com & Pragmatic!
- 6.00pm - 7.00pm - Welcome and Networking.
- 7.00pm - Talk begins.
- 7.40pm - Pizza, Drinks and Networking.
- 8.45pm - Start leaving the venue and if anyone wants to continue the chat and informal networking, head to 'Seven Stars' pub on Ship St.
- Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements when you RSVP.
🏢 VENUE SPONSOR: Pragmatic
Pragmatic, Chandos House, 26 North Street, Brighton, BN1 1EB
- Main entrance on Meeting House Lane across from Riddle & Finns. Please ring the 3rd-floor buzzer and someone will let you in. Once inside head up to the 3rd floor.
🤔 OTHER INFO:
- alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks available.
- find us on Twitter @WordUpBrighton (#WordUpBTN) or join us on Slack, in the channel #wordup-brighton.
Do you have a topic for the WordPress Brighton Meetup that you would like to help arrange or could possibly speak at? Get in touch, we'd be delighted to hear from you.