Writing sometimes can be lonely. We are a group of serious writers who sit and write together in silence for 2, 3 or 4 hours in a cafe. Everyone works on their own project and encourages each other by being there.
* A profile photo, preferably a real one
* A brief description of yourself or your work
PART 1: WRITING SESSION
This is the serious part of the meeting and we have strict rules to promote writing:
* Distractions must be kept to a minimum, so no mobile phones or talking. Just pretend you're in a library. Sssh! If you really have to be noisy then do it away from the group.
* Writers work on their own projects. No sharing or judgement of work. You measure your own progress and success.
* This is not a critique group. This is not a workshop with teachers/mentors or writing exercises.
* The show must go on! If the host is a no show then find other writers and get writing. There are no excuses for not writing.
* Keep your RSVP updated. It makes it a lot easier for hosts (who may be reserving tables). No shows will be recorded and possibly banned.
* When events are at a commercial venue like cafes, buy something, anything to make us welcome there. Think of it as a venue hire fee. DO NOT bring your own food & drink. This makes us look really bad.
PART 2: SOCIAL (optional)
Whether this happens depends on the host. Check the event details. This is when you are free to talk, socialise and share experiences with fellow writers. Almost anything goes. It is also perfectly acceptable to come just for the writing and leave politely straight after. Your writing always comes first.
WHAT YOU NEED
Bring your unfinished project e.g. novel, short story, screenplay, poem etc.
Bring pen & paper, computer or whatever you like using. If it's electronic please check the battery will last because venues might not have power sockets available.
MOTIVATIONAL RANT (in case you need it)
Writing doesn't happen by itself. It's a constant battle against procrastination, distractions and "I'm too tired/busy/bored etc." Resist all this and commit to your passion. Attend our meetings as often as possible. They do get easier and you will get better. Just ask our members.
I don't know how long these meetings will run for. They are free and we do it because we love writing. Do not take them for granted. Do not miss opportunities to attend. This is completely for you. I say this to push you a little. It feels wonderful to call ourselves writers, but let's not forget to do the writing.
Write Together Tokyo is organised by being inspired by Write Together in London. My gratitude towards the organiser, Juao who is very kind to let me use the materials.
We want these meetups to be enjoyable and productive. If any problems arise or you have an idea to share, please message me.