We are a group of dedicated professional writers who, since 2019 have been growing Vienna’s community of English language story tellers, of all sorts. If you write short stories, or are a poet, a singer-song writer, a personal essayist, a novelist, a stand-up comedian, or create stories in forms we haven’t heard of yet, then you are a story teller and you should come and join us. Also, if you like to hear great stories - our events are for you.
Our two monthly evenings of live storytelling always involve established, professional writers from the worlds of book publishing, radio, TV, film, comedy, poetry or song writing, as well as, at the Open Mic, aspiring writers in any of these categories. The mix is different every month. All stories are in English.
We have 2 events each month.
- The 3rd Thursday of each month is our ever-popular OPEN MIC STORYTELLING at Cafe Korb, Brandstätte 7 (in Vienna’s 1st district) at 7pm which has been running for over 4 years. It is open to anyone to tell a story, or a poem or a song they have written themselves. If you ever want to tell a story please get in touch in advance. You can also arrive by 6.45pm to see if we can get your name on the list. We usually fit everyone in. There is a theme each month. But it is also just as much fun to come and watch/listen, and enjoy our wide array of storytellers, poets and singer-songwriters who perform each month. The Open Mic is free and we ask for donations on the night. No need to RSVP to attend - just turn up. There is a 5 Euro donation requested to help with running costs. (Details below for potential storytellers).
- The other monthly event is called TRUE STORY NIGHTS. This is not an Open Mic, but an evening of professional storytellers, where 4 storytellers tell 2 amazingly true stories each, one in each half of the show. From October 12th 2022 it will take place in the very stylish Rote Bar cabaret theatre at the very grand Volkstheater. This event is a ticketed event. You can see details in our Events section. Tickets are just 12 Euros (7 Euros concessions) and go on sale at Volkstheater and online weeks in advance. We sell out every show so book early.
Both evenings are posted in our Events section a few weeks in advance. They are both exciting and popular evenings and are always full, so, arrive before 7pm for the Open Mic or buy a ticket in advance for the True Story Nights.
OPEN MIC NIGHTS – RULES FOR STORYTELLERS
If you ever want to tell a story at our popular Open Mic nights, please get in touch here or via our Facebook page @viennastorytelling in advance. You can also arrive by 6.45pm to see if we can get your name on the list. We usually fit everyone in.
We are very nice. We don’t bite. No one gets booed off, so consider sharing your work. It is fine to read your work from a script or to perform it without a script - both are equally welcome and valid. Or come along and enjoy the stories of our ever-changing range of storytellers each month and think about telling a story at a later date.
Each month we have a theme - stories/contributions based on that month’s theme will be given preference for inclusion in the evening, if our list of storytellers is getting full.
Many new friendships have been made through our storytelling evenings, as well as professional collaborations and confidence-boosting for those who want to check out their writing in front of an audience. Vienna’s Sunday Writer’s Club members are frequent contributors to our evenings with their latest stories.
We ask that you respect these rough time guidelines, so as many people as possible get a chance to participate.
• short story (max. 8 minutes)
• poetry (max. 5 minutes reading time)
• novel excerpt (max. 8 minutes)
• song (max. 5 minutes)
• stand-up comedy (max. 5 minutes)
Invited special guests are given longer at the end of the evening.
Bring your stories, songs, comedy, novel excerpts, poetry, and whatever else you have written and join us for a fun-filled and supportive evening. Or just come and listen, and be transported to other places and experiences.
We hope to see you at one of our monthly events.