addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

20 and 30 somethings in Portland - AWESOME Stuff Message Board › I want to address a small issue to the Organizers.

I want to address a small issue to the Organizers.

David
user 64209402
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi, first time here, I just wanted to point out a small problem to the Organizers of this group.

I noticed that there are a few people in this group who are clearly not in their 20's & 30's. I feel that it's not appropriate to have these kinds of people who clearly look like my grandpa/grandma's age (50, 60 & 70 year olds) in this group. I think it really creepy for some people, especially younger women. There is one guy here who frequents this group and it's pretty obvious. I think people who look older than 50+ shouldn't be in this group at all.

I'm not sure who is in charge of this group, but this problem needs to be fixed. Other than that, this looks like a great group of young people.

Thanks!

-David
Adam S.
adamschneider
Portland, OR
Post #: 26
Occasionally we have events that are cross-posted to other meetup groups. (E.g., Marcus's "Happy Hour to the 3rd Power" events last spring.) In those cases, there's going to be a wider age range, and that's okay.

But I agree that it makes people uncomfortable when people who are obviously quite a bit older come to events that were promoted only in the 20s/30s group — especially when they show up regularly. I've had people ask me about it.

As has been pointed out before, it's not like we cut people off as soon as they turn 40... a few of our "regulars" are nearing or just past 40 and no one thinks twice about it. But there's a fuzzy line somewhere in there, and 50+ is clearly over that line.
David
user 64209402
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
I agree Adam,

Just seeing older people at events (except for cross promoted events) aimed for the younger crowd really give me a bad taste in my mouth. It actually seems really weird for a 50+ something year old to go to an event that has a crowd full of 20's & 30's.

It's cool if there are a few people who are nearing 40 or at least in the 40 year old range or below in this group, but I think you guys should definitely draw the line of having these 50+ something year olds joining this group. They should not be in this group at all.