The Albuquerque Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › Objectivism -- systematic political-economic philosophy or bad juvenile lite

Objectivism -- systematic political-economic philosophy or bad juvenile literature?

Mark H.
M_C_Harris
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 11
Since reading Rand's Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, in college (on my own, not as part of a course), I've regarded objectivism as a pseudo-philosophy. Rand was quite intelligent, in a narrow, incisive way, but objectivism, in my assessment, fails to establish itself as much more than intellectual confusion (if not fraud).

As we look forward to an exploration of the fundamentals of philosophical thought, I've been reading Passion of the Western Mind, by Tarnas. While reading about Socrates last night, I imagined the vitriolic contempt Ayn Rand (or her current mouthpieces, such as Glenn Beck) would have had for Socrates, had they been exposed to his form of argument deconstruction and demolition. An encounter with Socrates would likely be scouring for any of us, but for those who are unwilling to hold their positions provisionally and adjust them when the prove wanting, true philosophical thinking is unbearable.

My wife sent me a link to the following article on objectivism that echoes much of what I had already concluded: Ayn Rand is for Children

Not to toss out the baby with the bath, Rand and her acolytes manage to state some apparently valid claims about learning and other matters, but--and this is where most trouble tends to arise in any attempted systematic philosophy--they fail to consider an adequate set of relevant facts, fail to fully recognize (or, perhaps, admit) their a priori assumptions, fail to account for their other biases, and fail to acknowledge there are many ways to relate the information they focus on and, thus, ignore other possible conclusions.

Political-economic philosophy has to accommodate a vast set of factors that interrelate in complex ways. I don't profess to have The Truth in this domain, but I don't see objectivism (or any libertarianism rooted in it) being able to claim anything approaching an honest and skillful philosophical inquiry.

Any thoughts?
Dianne
user 7166855
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 14
Mark,

All I can say is you said it so eloquently and comprehensively. Where are the Ayn Rand supporters?