addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin Design and Visual Arts Network Message Board › What should we do next meetup?

What should we do next meetup?

A former member
Post #: 2
So, I'm not Fletch, but maybe if we get something really inventive posted here, he'll listen! He's a pretty nice guy...
A former member
Post #: 3
Phil's idea:
Have everyone share his/her personal tricks, tips, and wisdom on how they get their work done.
If not a tip, then a recurring problem he/she faces during design process.

(This might help to balance conversation, which is slightly harder when group members are unfamiliar with each other.)

A former member
Post #: 1
break into small related groups for like-discipline exchange/prob solving
Charlie C.
user 9151237
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
What is the usual turn out? Would a small turn out work for splitting up? Fletch seemed very surprised at the turn out. I liked the classroom setting but not so much the idea of sitting around a restaurant, but that's just me.

Also I would like to see more focused topics. It seemed a little broad to me.
A former member
Post #: 5
Amy, I like that idea laughing

::Phil casts 1 vote for Amy's idea::
A former member
Post #: 6
copy&paste this to vote:
break into small related groups for like-discipline exchange/prob solving

wink
Fletch Brendan G.
Fletcherism
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 33
Of course I'll listen! I'm happy to take any help anyone offers.

First of all you, yes it's true, I was surprised by the turn out. We had one previous meeting that was what I would consider to be large. Nearly two dozen people RSVPed, just like this past month, but 10 of them no-showed. So I was kind of expecting that to happen again. When I got 18 people I was caught a little off-guard- and unprepared.

I've already taken Phil's suggestion to heart- our next meeting will be based around our sharing tips and tricks that we use in our work. And for Amy's suggestion, if we have a large enough turnout again, then we can split up into smaller groups and see how that works.

Also another idea I have is to put a short meet-and-mingle period in between the two halves of the meeting. I noticed a fewpeople were trying to talk and exchange business cards during our introductions or discussion, so I realized I need to provide a specific opportunity to do just that. So for our next meeting, we'll start with the job club for about 50 minutes, then have about 20 minutes of meet-and-mingle to straddle the top of the hour, and then our main meeting/discussion will start about 10 after and go for the rest of the hour.

And regarding our next meeting, I'm going to be putting it into the calendar later today, but we'll be doing it next week, hopefully at Genuine Joe's up on Anderson Lane. I do understand that some people don't care as much for the restaurant setting, but we've also had a number of our members express a preference for being able to get food since our meetings are around that time. Genuine Joe's is a bit of a compromise, as they aren't a real restaurant, just a coffeeshop with a few sandwiches and stuff, but they do have a back room that we can reserve so that we aren't affected by the rest of the clientele. As soon as I get that room reserved, I'll put the meeting on the calendar.

Just so you know, I am adding another meeting to our calendar in the interim, for Thursday of this week, but it's not a real full meeting for our group. It's a special one-off class/job clublet meeting for people from Launchpad who have been asking me for all kinds of advice about how to get themselves (or more specifically, their resumés) online where Google can search and index them. I'm putting this meeting on our calendar just to make it easy for our members to find out about it if they might be interested, and also because I'm going to specifically talk about portfolio-hosting services too, which I'm sure some of our members might be interested in.