addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin Design and Visual Arts Network Message Board › Special Ad-Hoc Class/Clublet Meeting- "How to Get on the 'Raw' Web"

Special Ad-Hoc Class/Clublet Meeting- "How to Get on the 'Raw' Web"

Fletch Brendan G.
Fletcherism
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Special Ad-Hoc Class/Clublet Meeting- "How to Get on the 'Raw' Web"
Thursday July 23, 2009 7:00 PM

Carver Branch Library
1161 Angelina St
Austin, TX 78702
512-974-1010

This isn't really a full meeting of our Design & Media group, I'm just putting this on our calendar in case anyone is interested. I'm doing an ad-hoc class/job clublet meeting for people in the Launchpad Job Club who have been asking me about how to get their resumés on the web where Google can index it, not using CareerBuilder and Monster.com and all that. So this is going to be a down-and-dirty, basics-only kind of seminar where I talk about the services that are available (mostly for free) to get a simple webpage or website online.

Another reason I'm putting this on our group's calendar is because I'm going to do a brief run-down of services that will host your portfolio, something pretty important to all of us.

Here's the description I sent to the Launchpad list:

"After Gary O'Neill's presentation at the Launchpad Job Club two Fridays ago, when he advised that everyone make sure they (and their resumés) were findable on the "raw web", I had a good number of people ask me just how to do that. So this Thursday I'm going to hold an ad-hoc class/clublet meeting to address that exact topic. Specifically I'm going to discuss some services there are available to you, for free, to get yourself what is called "web presence" that can be found by search engines; a little run-down on how to use their services (including ones that help you create your pages), and then how to get your site, or page, or just your resumé at the very least, submitted
to the search engines. For those interested, including but not limited to designers and artists, I'll also address different services that can help you put a portfolio of your work online.

"What this will not be is a web design class. It's too big a topic to get into the visual elements of page layout, never mind the technical aspects of HTML and other coding.

"If this class goes well enough, and there's enough demand for it, I might be able to do this again in a couple of weeks. But if this is important to you, you should really try to make it to this one."

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­