We're a fun group of hikers, canyoneers and climbers who like to get out most weekends and explore the backcountry. Most of us have been hiking or canyoneering for years, and are into hiking to stay in shape so we prefer the more strenuous hikes.
This is NOT a beginner group. We hike at a FAST PACE and we specifically pick moderate-to-difficult trails for both our workouts and our weekend events. We also like to do serious backpacking, canyoneering and packrafting trips - as in carrying around 40+lbs for multi-day trips in the backcountry. NOTE: AHOTE hikes are NOT dog friendly unless noted.
AHOTE has implemented a rating system that will be in all event descriptions
1. Easy: New members can go on these hikes without doing the intro Piestewa/Squaw Peak hike since not everyone can make Tuesday at 5:30PM. However, we would really prefer you do the intro hike first. Easy hikes can be dog friendly - but only if noted in the description.
2. Average: Example: Mogollon Rim trail (10 miles - fairly flat) New members can do these as well.
3. Medium: Examples: Hellsgate; many Superstitions hikes (8-15 miles - fairly flat). New members need to do the Intro Squaw/Piestewa Peak hike before doing a medium, hard or AHOTE style hike.
4. Hard: Example: Humphreys Peak; Buckskin Gulch - can be long or lots of elevation gain. You may hurt afterwards
5. AHOTE Style: Examples: Four Peaks Motherlode, Superstition Ridgeline, Waterholes, etc. You will hurt afterwards. Extreme exposure, potential loss of life, blood.
We're a private group because we like to know our members have some hiking experience before they show up at the trailhead for one of our events. We require every new member to join us for an evaluation hike before you join us for our extended weekend trips with a rating of 3 or higher. We also, for safety reasons, don't like to post our hikes to remote places on a public calendar for the whole world to see. If you are a SERIOUS and EXPERIENCED hiker or canyoneer and are interested in joining - please click the button to join the group and answer the questions about your hiking skills and experience.
PLEASE NOTE (this is the fine print): We post our adventures as a courtesy to people looking for partners. Hiking, climbing and canyoneering are dangerous activities and participants do it at their own risk. We are NOT RESPONSIBLE for helping you complete a trip. If you show up at one of our Meetups - you are responsible for being prepared with adequate water, gear and the ability to complete it on your own. Our core members hike VERY FAST and we will not wait for you. It is your responsibility to assess your readiness and your ability to complete the hike on your own. We are NOT paid trail guides and we will not teach you to hike. Nor are we personal trainers or medical professionals - we assume NO RESPONSIBILITY should you not be in shape enough to complete a hike or canyon or should you come ill-prepared with regard to your water, footwear, etc. We are not kidding when we say we are NOT a beginner group..
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Read the trail descriptions to know what you are in for. Sometimes the descriptions are 5+ years old so things change. Also, most AHOTE events take all day so avoid making plans after our hikes.We will not be able to accommodate other plans.
Our average age is thirty-something but our members range from around 25 to around 50+. We have some single and some married members.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|About AHOTE Arizona Hiking & Off-Trail Explorers||August 9, 2013 8:45 AM||anonymous|