align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

ARARITA San Diego Thelema Meetup Message Board › In Praise of Dead Witches

In Praise of Dead Witches

fred
user 10019627
San Diego, CA
Post #: 24
August 1st every year is the Wiccan/Pagan celebration Lammas.

Here is a Lammas story...... August 1, 1940, a coven of Scottish/English witches performed a ritual to prevent the Nazis from invading England. (The Battle of Britain had started a few weeks before and England was under heavy bombing). As a result of the ritual, five of the witches died. The two oldest had volunteered to give their Lifeforce to the working and had not covered their naked bodies with grease as the others had. Also taking no food, it was assumed they would get sick and die. Three others died as well. Details are thin, witches are a secretive lot. In some versions of this story, the spiritual ancestors of this coven used a Tarot ritual to stir up the winds that plagued the Spanish Armada.

http://www.trans4mind...­.

At the end of the above article about parallel universes, I found the following:

Research with my colleague, Tim Rifat, suggests that Aleister Crowley hid a magical system using Riemannian and Projective Synthetic Geometry as a model of consciousness in the text and designs of the Thoth Tarot. This magical system was used by Crowley in a magical war against the Nazis in World War II. The first public unveiling of the Thoth Tarot cards in London, July 1st 1942 was at a pivotal moment in the war when the Allies began to have victories against Germany. In a letter on July 5th 1942, Dion Fortune, magician and colleague of Aleister Crowley, wrote that now the War had been won on the Inner Planes, her attention was now turning to events after the war.

from Wikipedia:

"Dion Fortune participated in the "Magical Battle of Britain", which was an attempt by British occultists to magically aid the war effort and which aimed to forestall the impending German invasion during the darkest days of World War II. Her efforts in regard to this are recorded in a series of letters she wrote at the time. The effort involved in this endeavor is said to have contributed to her death shortly after the war ended."

If anyone has more details to the story, I would love to hear them. I know very little about Lammas, but that should not prevent us from celebrating. And raising a toast to dead witches.
Kirby
user 11639580
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
93 Fred,

Great article! Thank you for sharing.

93 93/93
A former member
Post #: 7
Fascinating. I do know that the Nazis also were involved in occult activities, Hitler in particular. I would need to research it more, but I think some of his planning involved divination. Fortunately, Crowley was an ally, as were most of the Golden Dawn membership. I know I have a book on this somewhere. Thanks for the fascinating story. I do know that Astral warfare has not been uncommon. I wonder if the film Bedknobs and Broomsticks was actually an historical novel. Ya think?

Dromadus
fred
user 10019627
San Diego, CA
Post #: 30

There is a story (via Lon Milo Duquette) that Ian Fleming introduced Aleister Crowley to Winston Churchill. Crowley attempted to give Churchill an understanding of Nazi occult practices. He told Churchill to be photograhed often making the "V" sign. Crowley explained that the "V" was a symbol for an energy that had power over the energy represented by the swastika and this would freak out the Nazis.

As a result of Lon's San Diego lecture, I got the Thoth deck and decided not to open it until Lammas. I took two hits of Cannabis, opened the box, and grabbed a magnifying glass. I ended up screaming with delight. A magnificent deck. And noticed that the swastikas on the five of swords are each inside the letter V. Defeat. Uncle Al got 'em good.

I also found a story that Dee told Queen Elizabeth not to worry about the Armada, due to the strong winds that were on the way.

1263, Norway tries to invade Scotland. The Scottish king knows "that the winds are coming" and waits. The winds smash up the Norwegians and the invasion fails. This was the battle of Largs. I did some research. Witches have meet ups in Largs every year. I think that there could be a lot of magic in that area. The Roman empire ended at what is now the border of Scotland.

There is a work of fiction, Lammas Night, that may give more details on the actual working. The author is Katherine Kurtz. .
A former member
Post #: 9
Very very cool. I appreciate your scholarship and dub you "Pathfinder" I am off to check my Thoth deck for verification, illumination, and sheer delight.
--Dromadus--