Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions

Robert S.
user 13193557
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 1
Welcome, Pam, Terri, Wendell, and Al,
Hope to see you at some of our meetings! We have a cookout this Sunday, maybe I'll meet some of you there!
Robert Schafer
A former member
Hey everyone, I'm Jordan. I just moved back to Little Rock from a two year layover in Fayetteville (went for work, moved back for work).

I've been an atheist for about 13 years, but just recently "came out" as an atheist to my Mom and brothers. My Dad's still on the list, but with him being a souther-baptist preacher, I doubt he'll take it well.

I'm hoping to help out however possible and help people who are in the position that I was once in. Hope to meet all of you and have some awesome conversation!

-Jordan
A former member
I've been a member for a while now but thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here anyway. My name is Lisa, I've been living in central AR for about 4 years now. I'm looking forward to meeting others from the area smile
A former member
Hi.
I'm Marc, moved into central Arkansas after a five-ish year span of living elsewhere. (NW Arkansas, New England...) I'm a truck driver, I run for Maverick (I'm sure you've seen the yard if you've ever left LR going east on 40). I was raised Roman Catholic and started having contradictions and problems with faith at age 17. I privately rejected my faith at my own Confirmation ceremony, and never returned to the church. By the time I turned 19 I considered myself a "recovered christian" and spent three-odd more years looking for something else to believe in. I'm 30 now, and comfortable in my status as a nonbeliever.
Although from time to time I do tell people I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or unicorns and the magic of friendship (ten points if you catch the reference) if I know the group is flexible enough to take a comical wrench in the discussion.
I would like to attend a meetup and hang out with some like-minded folks beside my neighbors (who are also nonbelievers) sometime when I'm in town.
Being in town usually only happens on weekends, and not much longer than a day or two unless I've specifically requested time off. That's how it goes when you're a professional drifter. I mean driver.
A former member
Hiya gang! I'm recently transplanted to Russellville for my job, and would really like to connect to "my kind" of people!

I grew up in Kansas but spent the last 20 years or so in California...coming to the South is definitely a new adventure for me.

I've been an atheist for just about as long as I can remember. I spent Kindergarten in a Catholic school; one of my first memories is listening to the story of Genesis and asking "but where do the dinosaurs fit in?" (I was a big Flintstones fan at the time). Sister Delphine told me that I was welcome to believe in the dinosaurs instead of the bible, but she knew which belief would send a person to hell.

My mother spent most of her life on some spiritual quest or another...she's been everything from Catholic to Buddhist to Hindu to just about every crack-pot religion in-between. My skepticism has always been there, quietly listening to her god du'jour and thinking it all sounded like BS.

I am very moral, in the sense that I try to not be an asshole, and hope that those around me strive to do the same.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I hope I'll get to meet up with ya'll soon. :)
A former member
Post #: 4
I'm Michael and I'm a 34 year old stay at home dad at the moment. I mostly watch my son Ian and spend my time on this...

...doing nerdy things unless I'm spending time with my wife. I also occasionally write angry articles for Gonzo Army. Though maybe not atheist per-se, I'm a philosophical Taoist and an anarchist. This doesn't mean I believe in Feng Shui, Alchemy, or obsess over overthrowing hierarchy wherever I find it. It just means I very much agree with the scientific process, burden of proof, and that things exist because they have their niche in the larger ecology of reality.

My wife and I moved to Central Arkansas from Joplin, Mo. about 2 years ago for better job prospects as she had a big belly full of baby, and it was getting tiring seeking jobs worthy of supporting a family in a crappy local economy. We are doing well now, though outside of occasionally going to Khalil's for Scottish Eggs and Scotch/Guinness I haven't had much of a chance to get out and/or meet calm, rational adults to associate with.
A former member
Hi there!

I'm just a geeky thirty-something. I grew up a devout Christian, but over the course of several years I grew to the point that I just didn't care anymore. I'm a rational person, tech lover, and I live with two cats that allow me to come and go as I please in exchange for food, treats, laser pointers, and paying their rent.

I'm a software developer for a local tech company, and I love movies, food, wine, games, and chilling-out on the couch with my cats.
Susan K.
user 13157058
North Little Rock, AR
Post #: 16
Hi Sean welcome to the group. Be sure to check out the calendar of events. See you soon!
A former member
Post #: 2
My name is mark, I've been a non-believer since I was 13, it took me a while to really get an idea of what i believed. It really wasn't until a few weeks ago when I went to the Reason Rally in DC with my girlfriend that i even knew that there were groups of Atheist and free thinkers... So I'm really wanting to get involved, one way or another, I haven't really been able to make it to any of the recent group meetings...
I want to get to meet everyone and what not but more importantly I want to make a difference. I guess I was just really motivated by the Reason rally.. I kind of feel like we should be more active, do stuff in the community, make it know that Atheist are not just a bunch of hateful people but that we actually give a damn about others. I'm thinking working at homeless shelters, or pick up litter. We are in the freaking bible belt, and we are the minority, I feel like we should be making a name for ourselves.

thanks, hope to hear from you guys soon.
LKB
LKB16
Little Rock, AR
Hi Mark! You express my sentiments exactly, and I'm with you on volunteering in the community and making a good name for ourselves. One volunteer opportunity on the calendar is an Adopt-A-Highway litter pickup on May 12. I'm hoping to meet you and your girlfriend at a function soon. I'm new to the group, and have enjoyed all of the meetings and events I've attended so far. I guess since I am new, I should introduce myself on this board as well. I started realizing my agnosticism in my early 20s, about 5 years ago, when I was majoring in biology and chemistry in a small Arkansas college town. I may have realized it sooner (and hence, grown into myself earlier, so to speak) if I had not been given the false impression my whole life that being an atheist means you are evil and hateful. I've recently begun to identify myself as atheist (because I feel that its literal meaning "without theistic belief" describes me adequately, and also I want to avoid to be mistaken for a "fence-sitter", as I heard people refer to agnostics in the past), and until recently kept my thoughts and beliefs to myself, mostly because most people around here are theistic and I don't really want to start fruitless conflicts. I'm extremely thankful to have found this group so that I can grow as a thinker by getting the perspectives of other people who, like me, do not make theistic assumptions.