addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions

Zach K.
user 52343322
Cabot, AR
Post #: 1
Hello. My name is Zach. Almost everyone I know does not think like I do so I decided to search for people who do. After a good friend got very very angry because I don't believe in Christianity I used the almighty Google. So, I am looking to connect and possibly make friendships with people who have more open minds about, well, everything.
Jeff P.
user 59450402
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 3
Hello folks,

My name is Jeff and I am a lifetime resident of Arkansas. I have been an atheist since about 14 or 15 years old, to my families chagrin. I was baptized at the age of 8 years old, and mom and dad were Sunday School teachers. Thankfully, I broke the spell and decided to think for myself.

I have a degree in English Literature and a minor in Philosophy. I love law, politics, literature, debate, astronomy, photography, and just about every other subject in our existence. I am the Director of a nonprofit charity for at risk-youth, and I have my own real estate investment business.

I look forward to meeting all of you and joining a community of like minded people. I was feeling a little isolated here in the buckle of the Bible belt, and it is nice to know there are people like me around.

Hope to get to know you all better very soon.

A former member
Post #: 2
I am Arnaud Aubin Massamba a new member ,I live in Brazzaville,Republic of Congo and I will come in Arkansas at SILC in june 2013.I think we have a solid group of people that will meet once a week .
I look forward to meeting you soon in Arkansas.
Sincerely Arnaud Aubin Massamba.
Lauren H
user 62303412
Jonesboro, AR
Hello everyone! I've been in Arkansas for about a year now and only just found you guys, it seems. I'm a graduate student at ASU Jonesboro in the avian ecology lab, working toward obtaining my MS in biology. My thesis deals with the use of fish farms and Wetland Reserve properties by Least Terns and other waterbirds in the Delta here in Arkansas.

I'm originally from Oregon, and I have to say, I've done a lot of traveling and fieldwork in many places, yet experienced more culture shock moving here than when I studied in Australia, or lived on Saipan. Evidently the American South is in some ways more foreign to an Oregonian than another country across the planet! I knew what I was getting into in advance, but experiencing the Bible Belt firsthand is eye-opening to me, and for those of you who grew up here, I commend you for what you have had to deal with all your lives, given how pervasive religion can be here.

I'm enjoying my time here though, and look forward to attending some of the events you guys put on, though Little Rock is pretty far out of the way for me. If anything ever happens up here in Jonesboro, let me know and I'll be happy to lend a hand!
A former member
Hey everyone! I have lived in Arkansas my entire life; growing up in the small town of Subiaco, AR. I have been living in Conway for the past seven years for school. I hold a B.S. in Psychology and having hopefully passed COMPS will hold a M.S. in College Student and Personnel Administration. I currently wait tables and work as the Coordinator of Student Weekend Activities at Subiaco Academy, while I wait for a big kid job to come around. When I am not working I enjoy spending my time outside: playing ultimate, mountain biking, whitewater kayaking, backpacking, bouldering, fishing, and have recently started to delve into primitive archery.

I am looking forward to attending events and getting to know everyone.
Michael
user 3446329
Little Rock, AR
hello all!

my name's Michael. i'm 27, and i live in North Little Rock. i love Star Trek, music, and tobacco. i'm an Atheist, which i think i technically have been all my life, and i've embraced most of the philosophy of LaVeyan Satanism, as it was already how i lived my life since i reached the Age of Reason and became my own person. i was baptized when i was 8 because i was forced to be terrified that if i didn't, i would burn for all eternity. my grandmother used to shout "the devil's behind you!" when i would act out, and it made me deathly afraid when i was little. i used to try and force people who didn't act in accordance with what i thought was right to repent and be saved, but it was always an angry or fearful kind of act on my part. i attended Walnut Valley Christian Academy, now Little Rock Christian, from 3rd to 6th grade and was forced to attend weekly sermons and pray and sing hymns in class. i even got a lecture from Huckabee once.

all this culminated with me being told by a Pentecostal preacher, whom i still respect and love dearly, that religion "just wasn't for" me, and that my answers were elsewhere. so, i began assimilating all religious and spiritual knowledge i could and read all kinds of New Age philosophies, and when i was 22 i found Satanism. still, at this time, considered myself simply Agnostic, but the philosophy and beliefs of LaVey intrigued me. over the years i grew to doubt the veracity of god, and recently discovered Matt Dillahunty and The Atheist Experience, which presented such profoundly logical arguments against the existence of god that i finally let go of my nagging fear and converted to full-fledged Atheism. i still believe in the philosophy of Satanism in the Anton LaVey sense of the word, but i fear i may be alone in Arkansas in that aspect. i do not practice the magical aspects of the actual religion, but i identify as an "Atheistic Satanist."

it is my hope to meet like-minded individuals and make friends who share some of my loves and can discuss some of my more fringe beliefs and ideas with me, in order to help me draw more logical conclusions or perhaps even open someone else's mind to them. my acceptance of my Atheism has been one of the most hopeful and freeing choices of my life, and i hope to share my free time with you guys when i'm able. thanks!
A former member
Post #: 2
Hello, I'm Sunny D. and I don't just think "outside the box", I think outside the box FACTORY lol. I'm pretty much a one-of-a-kind. I'm in my late 20's, am a wife, am a parent, a singer/actress wannabe, and am constantly in conflict with my own mind lol. Oh yeah.. and I, involuntarily talk incessantly as well as type long, drawn out posts (see?) and often lose sight of the original discussion. (Thanks ADHD)

I tend to over-think most things as I try to be considerate of all people and attempt to see things from their points of view, understand why they think the way they do, and try to encourage those people to do the same. Even if I do not and never will agree with someone on something, I sit around and think about it, in-depth and will usually learn something from the experience.

I strive to never let myself go into denial, never stop learning, never close my mind, and try my best (though it's VERY difficult) to be a positive influence or none at all. (Though sometimes I do hit an "evil" streak for a bit and cannot help but give input I know will do nothing but cause trouble.. even though it's the truth.) I'm up and down. I suffer from fairly, severe Adult ADHD and probably a mild mood disorder as well that's yet to be diagnosed. (I suspect cyclothymia) I'm honest and though I see this as a great value, I have learned that in the real world honesty will more often cause you problems than not. However, I am who I am, what you see is what you get, and I cannot change that. I can't live with myself if I'm dishonest so others will either have to deal with it or remove themselves from my life if they choose not to. I will not defriend a person (real life or otherwise) because we have differing opinions. In those cases I simply try to focus on the things we do have in common or agree on and look past the others.

I have no problem admitting mistakes, taking responsibility for my actions, apologizing, attempting to correct mistakes, and so on. I'm never too proud or "hard-headed" to admit when I'm wrong nor do I find any shame in it. It makes me happy to know I've learned something and am no longer misinformed and spreading misinformation. I find NO satisfaction in proving anyone wrong. I find satisfaction in knowing a person has become properly informed on something they were previously misinformed on or ignorant to.

I do like to question, reason, and debate but find it difficult to do so without others becoming defensive, offensive, or angry. The only part of that I am irritated by is one's denial to consider anything other than what they already think or believe.

"The difference between ignorance and stupidity is, ignorance can be healed with education."

So yeah that's what's on my mind at the moment lol. Sorry for the rambling.. I explained it though lol.
WELCOME to my random world! lol.
Gary Y.
user 86339562
Little Rock, AR
Hello, I heard about Freethinkers from a dear friend who thought I would enjoy the lively discussion and keeping company with exceptional people. My mother taught me two valuable lessons. Never put a ten dollar haircut on a two dollar head and hang out with smart people. The worst that can happen is that you will be mistaken for one of them.
I am a doubter. My non belief is somewhat peculiar. I am not an atheist, I just have been unable to find God amongst the detritus of decomposing theology stirred constantly by schizophrenic clerics. I am not an agnostic because while I freely admit to not knowing, I am not willing to deny it to others-it seems unsportsmanlike.
While I have no faith, I admire it in those who hold onto it with integrity and practice it with kindness. I am not bombastic, self assured or self righteous...but I am willing to laugh at those who are as long as they have not brought firearms along.
I hope I am welcome. I will try to be quiet until I have something to say...