Adventurers in Action! Message Board › First Trip of 2008: Adventurer's Take the Carribean - Multisport adventure o

First Trip of 2008: Adventurer's Take the Carribean - Multisport adventure on Dominica

Carl E.
user 3119964
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Dates: May 24-June 1
Type: Multi-Sport
Price: $1,999 double occupancy, $2,599 single occupancy; plus airfare (usually $750-$850).
$350 Deposit required to reserve spot.
Skill Level: There are options for all skill levels. You must love the outdoors and Adventures
Description:

Dominica is by far the best island in the Caribbean for adventurers. Imagine days filled with all sorts of adventures like hiking, volcano climbing, snorkeling, bathing in hot springs and kayaking. Then, imagine coming home to a Treehouse cabin, a fantastic dinner and 1/2 hour massage every day.

There are no drinks with little umbrellas or white sandy beaches here; Dominica is all about lush wild beauty! The island is just plain stunning. Arising out of the middle of nowhere, Dominica is a volcano in the middle of the sea. They say it is impossible for a person to starve here because the water is so clean you can drink directly form a cascading stream and the land so fertile that you could wander for days subsisting on mango, passion fruit, bananas and guava.

When we scouted this location for a trip for you, I immediately fell in love. This is one of my favorite places I have ever been in my life and I am so excited to share it with you.

We are going on their Special Jungle Spa Adventure Package which includes all airport transfers, organic meals and island fresh non-alcoholic fruit juices, accommodation in private jungle cottages (with 1 king bed or 2 double beds, private bathroom and semi-outdoor shower, a balcony with rain-forest views, mini-refrigerator, telephone, in-room coffee/tea maker) all your daily adventures like snorkeling, ocean kayaking, heritage bicycle tours, hiking to the world famous Boiling Lake and other natural attractions. The price also includes evening entertainment on some nights including Caribbean cooking classes, live cultural music dancing, and a healing plants and teas of Dominica presentation. To rejuvinate sore bones, you get a daily half hour (30 minute) spa treatments in out unique ocean-view spa which offers a choice of massages, manicures, pedicures and facials. (the package also includes all government room and sales taxes (10-15%)). So, all you have to pay for is airfare ($750-$850), alcoholic drinks and souveniers.

We are staying at one of the nicest places in the world. Everyone who goes there loves it. They are constantly getting awards for eco-tourism and being featured in prominant magazines as the best place for adventure in the Carrabean. Read some of their recent articles and awards

"Our 20 Favorite Green Hotels"Traveler + Leisure Magazine (Nov 2007)

Global Vision Awards ~ Finalist Traveler + Leisure Magazine (Nov 2007)

World Saver Awards ~ Winner in the Small Hotel/Resort CategoryConde Nast Traveler Magazine (Sept 2007)

Top 10 Luxury Eco Resorts
Forbes Traveler (April 2007)
- Jungle Bay Feature on Forbes Traveler (pdf)
- Full Article on MSNBC (pdf)

Dominica: Jungle BayNew York Times (Oct 2006)

Om Away From HomeOutside Magazine (Mar 2006)

The "It" ListConde Nast Traveler Magazine (Feb 2006)
A former member
Post #: 1
hey there, when you get to dominica, on the southern side you've got plymouth. i was working on a sailboat this past winter and this was one of the harbors we anchored in. it's a pretty rural town, and VERY local. but then that seems to be the nature of the island, though i suspect it's a bit less developed than other more established areas. anyway, in plymouth, there are a few places to eat, a bank, and a tourist center. the tourist center is at the mouth of indian river, a registered & protected sanctuary of the island (no motors allowed). there are a lots of guides who will take you in their dinghy, but the best is albert. he's honest and reserved, patient and extremely knowledgeable about the area and the river in particular. he'll tell you every kind of plant and animal you might see, and their history! scenes of survivor and pirates of the caribbean were shot along this river for good reason-- super lush and dense jungle, amazing beautiful fauna and flora. at the end is an eco bar and they're building an eco resort (small scale, just a few private rooms, some trails, etc). i highly reccomend going. it's less than $10 per person and easily one of the best experiences i had this past winter in the caribbean. well, have a great time, i'm sure you will no matter what you do! all the best, beth*