A former member
Post #: 6
Hi! So our little Nickls is having back problems. He's the first of all of my doxies to experience this and I am SO SO lost.

The vet has him on pain killers and steroid anti-inflammatory meds w/ crate rest for the next two weeks. He's being considered for surgery on his discs.

So I have a few questions and would LOVE some help.

1. Has anyone else experienced this with their dachshund?

2. If you have, can you please share your story with me?

3. Are there any resources you would suggest to help us and our little guy out?

I have a few concerns as our vet has said Nickls will never be the same. He will never be able to play like he used to and we will ALWAYS have to be careful with him. I am concerned his life will be a series of surgeries. I am also concerned that with our plans for having kids that keeping Nickls isn't the best idea for him, given how delicate our vet has indicated he will be. We do just love him and want what is best for him and to make the right choices. We've love feedback from other people who have been in this situation.

Please advise? Thank you.
Jennifer
user 4808065
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5
Hi Mia,

My little one went through the same situation this time last year and was given the same course of treatment. Since he had low neurological damage there wasn't a need for surgery and Dylan showed improvement within 30 days. He hasn't had an "episode" since but does have a few days where he is a bit slower than he use to be. I haven't seen his lifestyle change to the point where he is unhappy. There is just more rest time after activities, more massages on his effected areas and more picking him up to avoid jumping on things. I did add Nupro Joint Support to his daily meals (powder supplement) and found a topical, organic joint pain reliever that is safe to use during his 'slow' days. I didn't want to become dependent on the drugs too much.
I also took him to see a neurologist in Tacoma who has a ton of experience with dachshunds. This was completely precautionary and to establish a history with the doctor. My vet recommended this as she said if surgery is needed the neurologist would be the one performing it so it is best if he is familiar with the pet prior to the emergency. I sawDr. Jerry Demuth who is part of the Summit Vet Clinic. The consult was around $150 and he was EXTREMELY helpful and informative. He spent a good hour with Dylan, watching him play and giving me advice on what to do and what not to do. The best thing he said to me is that even if Dylan was to live in a snausage filled bubble for the rest of his life, his disc may still slip and he may still need surgery. While I haven't relaxed my precautionary strategy with him, it did give me a sense of personal relief that I don't have to lord over him 24 hours a day.
Dylan may or may not ever have a need for surgery (I really hope not) but until that day comes, the best I can do is have a good plan of action, be aware of potential triggers and shower him with unconditional love. He hasn't been a burden on my life or taken my attention away from other things that I feel I cannot have him around. In fact, injured or not, my life would feel empty without him :) Back injuries are a difficult situation to handle but they can be managed with minimal impact to everyone.
I am not sure if any of this helps but if you want to talk more or if you want to meet Dylan to see how he is a year after his injury, we'd be happy to meet you! Just hang in there!!
Chris W.
user 21015421
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
No two stories are the same but I will share mine with you.

Take a deep breath! My Izzie had gone through something similar. I am sure they have improved treatments now.

She lost the use of her back legs when she was two and lived to be sixteen. She did need surgery and in true dramatic fashion it was snowing and we had to pull a surgeon out his sick bed to do it.

The surgeon asked me what would happen if things didn’t work out and I told him I would get her a doggy wheelchair. She was my baby and my mother had been a wheelchair most of my life.

Things did work out. I gave her water therapy in the bath tub and it so exciting to see her movement come back. Her gait was a little strange but she could out run me going up a hill. She hiked. camped and traveled with me.

Yes, we were very careful about letting her jump off of high places and no more using the stairs. But to have the gift of her for so many years was worth it.

We had my young niece in the house at the time and they were great friends but I did set boundaries. Will there be changes, probably but in life there always seem to be challenges of some sort.

My heart goes out to you,
Chris
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks for the replies! It is good to hear that after this our pals make more of a recovery that what I was thinking of. Right our little guy just seems so stiff and sad.

Has anyone had any experience with Aquedan treatments?