Info on Deer Creek Canyon hike tmw

From: Ed W.
Sent on: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:05 PM
Regarding the Deer Creek Canyon After Work Hike and Dinner this Thursday Sept 24...

The weather forecast suggests this rainy spell will come to an end over the next couple of days. The National Weather Service, which I find to be the most accurate, says 30% chance of rain Thursday day and 20% chance evening. I'll make a decision on the hike tomorrow afternoon, and if I cancel I'll send out an email and update the web site. This time, if I cancel the hike, I will cancel the dinner as well, as I have other options tomorrow evening. If you can't get my emails or access the web site from work and you're unsure about the hike tomorrow afternoon, you can call me on my cell[masked]-1656.

One person wrote me and said she doesn't care if it's raining, she'll hike in it anyway! The major risk of rain is lightning, but this storm and this time of year haven't had much of that. The other problem is muddy trails--I've previously done Deer Creek Canyon after rain, and a few parts of it would be muddy, but much of the trail would not be. While I've seen Mt. Falcon closed after rain to prevent erosion, I've not seen Deer Creek Canyon closed. I'd be really bummed if I had to cancel two hikes in one week!

HIKE PARTICIPANTS SHOULD BRING ADEQUATE GEAR FOR THE HIKE, including rain gear, a flashlight or headlamp, hiking boots or trail running shoes, and a pack with drinking water, extra clothing in case it gets colder (remember that it gets cooler after sunset, and maybe a first aid kit, whistle, trekking poles, and sunglasses.

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy