Anchorage Trail Runners Message Board › Winter Traction: Cleats or studs

Winter Traction: Cleats or studs

Nick
user 114186632
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 1
Does anyone have any experience with adding studs or cleats to their running shoes? I was checking out icespike.com as an option. Or do you recommend the simple yak traks that are sold at fred meyer? Looking for suggestions or insight.
Kenton C.
user 74422622
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 5
I went to home depot and got 1/8 inch phillip head screws and just hand-screwed them in. It was easy. 2 years later...it's time find a change in shoes, obviously, as they're jabbing my foot! But they've been great; I never slip. The only problem is you have to watch going inside, as they scratch up the floor, and it's sometimes hard to remember when you're wearing a normal pair of running shoes.

Yak Tracks are completely worthless. Hit a sharp piece of ice and the rubber snaps. Get any grippers that are complete metal on the bottoms...Kahtoolas or something of the like. Only problem with the Kahtoolas is they're really thick spikes, so it's hard to run on city streets.

Hope that helps!
Mike M
user 12719620
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 2
X10 what Kenton said. I didn't try the screws because I didn't want to damage relatively new shoes, and I didn't want them tearing out or poking through. Instead, I went straight for the Kahtoolas (micro-spike version), which I highly recommend. Unlike Yak Tracks, Kahtoolas hold up extremely well, and they're very easy to put on and remove. I don't run on streets much, but I believe the Kahtoolas would hold up fine. I've had Yak Tracks fall apart just walking around with them for a few weeks whereas this is season two for my Kahtoolas and they still look new. The one drawback for Kahtoolas is that the stretch rubber can be slightly constricting, so I recommend the larger size if you're in between sizes. Another option I'm considering for my next pair of running shoes is the Icebug studded shoes that come with factory-installed permanent studs just like vehicle tires.