The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › Ice prods/ice claws

Ice prods/ice claws

Maria
user 7187785
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 2
I'm looking to get a set of ice prods/ice claws as part of my safety gear for ice skating. I did a google search, no luck at Sports Authority and a search of REI.com turned up nothing. Any advice on where to obtain these?

Thanks,
Maria
Greg P.
user 13376216
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 290
I vaguely recall that someone in town had them last year. Might have been Mountain View Sports over on Old Seward (across from University Mall), or perhaps B & J Sporting Goods on C St, or some other place that caters to hunters & snowmobilers. You can also Google "ice claws" to find instructions for making your own.

P.S. Think about carrying a spare set of dry clothes in a waterproof duffel bag. And a knife!!! These folks had trouble removing their frozen skate laces...

Skaters survive fall through ice

A former member
Post #: 138
I ordered ours but I THINK the kayaking/Raft store on Tudor has them. I bought my throw bag there to use w/my ice skating emergency kit :)

It's an awesome little place btw Arctic & C street, on the Rt side as you're heading towards Minnesota.
A former member
Post #: 139
Ya know, that dry bag of clothes is a really good idea but when I fell through up to my armpits at -5' I just headed to the car as fast as possible. I think that if you're within a mile or 2 of the car, the priority is just to get OUT & into a vehicle. I would strongly suggest a cell phone in a waterproof bag & an extra jacket or something to throw on top of your get up but really one of your buddies will throw their (extra) jacket on you. I really suggest speed is the most important. A guy on a bike fell through (totally under) right before me & he just jumped back on as soon as he was able & raced off w/that same idea. He told me he had all of the gear,t hough, just in case.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 89
B&J sports on Northern Lights and C street has them and their prices are really good
Maria
user 7187785
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 3
Thanks everyone for the advice and info!
Maria
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 577
www.Nordicskater.com­ most complete source of skate and Nordic ski gear in North America.

In Anchorage, B&J, in that shopping center at No Lts and C St, downstairs (near the KFC) has ice safety gear for the ice fishing folks.

Skate often, skate wild, skate safe!

For ice skating safety, I suggest:
- ice claws on strings around your neck to be easy to reach so you can claw your way out of a fall-in
- Waist-belt style kayakers throw bag to reach a fellow skater who is in the water or out but still on thin ice
- An old ice climbers hammer (with a sharp pick that can be planted in the ice as an anchor or used to test ice safety. Ask Ned Lewis or Rik Derrick where you might get an old one of these a climber no longer uses)
- Dry bag with mittens, hat, neck gaiter; maybe an extra large coat. It'll be tough to dress or change clothes, but hands, head and neck need to be warmed IMMEDIATELY after getting wet.
- Pocket or folding knife to cut frozen skate laces when you get back to the edge of the lake/ near car (not before)
- Whistle on a cord around your neck or on a pack strap. Blow 3 sharp blasts in case of emergency.
- Headlamp with fresh batteries in case an 'event' does happen and you are headed back hours later than expected.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 26
One additional thing worth having in your pack is an empty inflated franzia wine bag. Weigs nothing and provides almost as much flotation as a pfd which is a must for cold water immersion
A former member
Post #: 17
Check out Safety Inc on International btw C & Arctic. I don't know that they have them but I they specialize in safety and survival equipment.
A former member
Post #: 2
If you want to save money you could make your own: .