WordPress is known for its ability to separate function (plugins) from form (themes). In this talk with Boone, a lead developer for BuddyPress, we will go over the basics of plugin development including how and why you would want to create a plugin in the first place.
We will cover:
- Why would I want to create my own plugin? (reusability, theme independence, etc)
- A brief overview of WP's plugin API: add_action() and add_filter()
- The basics of WP plugin structure
- How to make sure your plugin plays nicely with other plugins
- Getting started releasing your plugins on wordpress.org
Please note the date for the Meetup. We are moving the meetup back by two weeks so we can fit Boone in the schedule.
About the speaker: Boone Gorges is a freelance WordPress developer based in Queens, NY.
Boone is a Lead Developer for BuddyPress, and oversees development on a number of WordPress projects, including Commons In A Box, Anthologize, and Participad.
He specializes in working with educational and non-profit organizations. Boone is on the web at http://boone.gorg.es, blogs at http://teleogistic.net, and tweets at http://twitter.com/boone.