addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › My Hobby Site goes live! (kinda)

My Hobby Site goes live! (kinda)

Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 27
So, my hobby site is pretty much live. I’ve been working on it for a long long time. The custom search engine thing isn’t very easy to work around and I’ve stumbled a few times on it. I was hoping that maybe some of you guys/gals wouldn’t mind taking a peek at it and providing some feedback. The site for the Directory is at foodnav.org.

Also, the idea of the site for those that I haven’t bent their ear about this is to provide a Free Directory of food products like those you would find at a Farmers Market. There are only a couple up now, and I’m starting to add more of those as well. That’s pretty much where I’m at, finding and adding in the products. So, if any of you folks have a favorite apple butter or salsa or something like that feel free to let me know and I’ll work on getting it added in.

I have years of stuff still planned for the site(s), but I’m open to ideas as well. The goal behind the site is that the Food Producers MUST have a web store where they can sell and ship their products to people to get listed in the directory. So, if you know of any cool products (especially from outside of Arizona) that should be included then please let me know.

The sister site is foodnav.com and it’s going to be a directory where people can find ways to get their web stores set up and running so they can get listed. There is an area for WordPress Professionals who may want to provide services for people in helping them to get set up. There is also an area for Joomla and Drupal (even though I’ve never used either of those). I may charge at some time in the way out distant future. But, like everything else it’s Free for now. I have a Category of “Code Contributor” for those that may help me on the actual site if they see some way to benefit from it themselves which will likely have long term benefits (like no cost advertising forever and the ability to add products/posts for their own customers instead of waiting on me to have spare time, it is a hobby after all), but I’m anxious to help get the Meetup Group listed in the directory as well. So, if you want please let me know.

Cool, thanks everyone.
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 31
I'm up to just over 400 products loaded into the site :) I need to figure out a better way to just simply "Browse" the site. I spent so much time worrying about the Search function that I forgot that some people might just want to check out all the cool stuff. So, I'll be adding that soon. But, man, it's been fun, there are some really cool products out there that people are making. Highlights have to be things like:

Chocolate Honey, Chocolate looking Olives (I'm going to put this together to make one awesome looking chocolate martini - I prefer straight whiskey, but the combo just sounds like the perfect picture)

Milk Chocolate covered Cherries that are then dipped again in cherry colored white chocolate for a kinda pink chocolate covered cherry. They also have dark chocolate truffle cherries that looked good and Cabernet and Merlot infused chocolate covered cherries.

Concord Grape and Grappa Jam. Anytime you put Grappa in something there has to be points for originality.

Handmade Apple Smoked Sausages.

About 30 different Salsa's (we do live in AZ)

Lots of Habanero Jams and Jellies. Some hand made hot potato chips.

I don't know, just having fun with it so far. It's also cool to look and see how some of the people are using WordPress as their eCommerce Solution and how the final products turn out. I've seen quite a few that are using WordPress as their front ends and then putting a different shopping cart behind it. Of course I have a ton more that I have found that I need to get around to adding, but it is a hobby.