Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Help with Next/Previous Page links with multiple taxonomies

Help with Next/Previous Page links with multiple taxonomies

A former member
Post #: 56
I'm working on a site with a custom post type (Art Gallery) and with multiple taxonomies (Artist, Gallery Categories, etc.).

I've created archive template pages for the custom taxonomies so that someone can pull up a list of all of the art by a certain artist or in gallery category (e.g. portraits or architecture). That all works great.

My problem is when someone clicks on one of the results from a given taxonomy archive page, they aren't able to go next art page from the taxonomy archive page.

To clarify, if the person clicks on the category for Architecture art, it pulls up thumbnail links to all of the art that has been assigned as architecture. Let's say the first example is a painting of a cathedral and then next one is a photo of a skyscraper and the third one is a drawing of a house. I want someone to be able to click on the page for the skyscraper and there will be a Previous link to the page for the cathedral and a Next link to the page for the house drawing.

Does this make sense? The site is on my testing server at www.kelleherwebdesign.com/txlctile/­ if that helps.

I would appreciate your help on this. Thanks!

Peace out,
Dharma
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 82
I've never archived cpt's like that really but it's an issue WP has.

I was thinking wp_query with paged attributes could work.

Check these links:
http://wpquestions.co...­
http://wordpress.stac...­
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 32
I fought with this and my site is much simpler, so please make sure to post your results. I just increased the listed posts to 100 in the loop since not many went over 10 and went on down the road.

However, in looking at the site real quick I would think that you need to make the wp_query global in some way. WP needs to remember the results of the custom query for the custom post type when it goes to the single page so that when you press next it knows which permalink to go to that was next in the query. Maybe even consider throwing the links into an array variable so that you can reference it and step through it and make that global and not even worry about their is_paged and built in functions? Those seemed to be tied alot around testing whether or not it's a paged view before dynamically figuring out the display order.

Certainly not a solution, but maybe some ideas will help you apply what you've been reading and pouring over.