MN Arrowhead North Country Trail Hikers Message Board › New member, new resource

New member, new resource

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello again,

I didn't feel like I could really introduce myself properly while building my profile. As I managed to state earlier, I have recently arrived in Minnesota to assume my new job as an outdoor recreation planner on the Superior National Forest. My position is considered "west zone", and my office is located in Aurora. If you are familiar with the various districts on the Superior, my coverage will include the Laurentian (Aurora), LaCroix (Cook), and Kawishiwi (Ely) Ranger Districts. I am, at this point, not certain of how "outdoor recreation planning" is defined here. It may prove that my time will be spent writing compliance documents and managing special uses, but I am hopeful that I am able to become involved in the actual "on the ground" planning as well. Please recognize that if you have already been communicating with someone on the Superior National Forest, I am not replacing them- they should remain your primary point of contact. My intent is just to let you know that I'm here and available, and that I might be useful to you from time to time given the additional NCT experience and knowledge I bring to this National Forest.

I have been working with/on the North Country Trail since 2004. My first position with the Forest Service was as a trails technician on the Wayne National Forest in Ohio, where I led a group of YCC teens conducting maintenance on the NCT in the Marietta and Nelsonville areas. Most recently, I was the Trails Coordinator for the Baldwin/White Cloud Ranger District on the Huron-Manistee National Forests in Michigan. During this period, I worked very closely with the Spirit of the Woods and West Michigan chapters of the NCTA. I truly enjoyed the relationship and experiences I shared with those groups, and personally believe we did some pretty good stuff out there. My hope is that I will be able to continue to offer my assistance to the NCT, though I realize that it will still be some time before our paths will cross (pun intended) on the ground.

So that's it in a nutshell, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments for me. Thanks again everyone,

Chris