Arts New Mexico Message Board › Open Participation & How To Post an Event

Open Participation & How To Post an Event

Chris (Crista) W.
Crista
Group Organizer
Albuquerque, NM
If you have got a skill to teach, a studio to share, a workshop or small biz idea to manifest, or an art tour you would like to lead, take the leap and post it for the group. I have an open leadership policy here at ARTS NEW MEXICO and you can post your own event for the group. All I ask is that you follow a few guidelines:

VIRGINS: If you can PLEASE take just a moment to CALL OR TEXT me at (505) 440-6293 and ask that I add you as an "event organizer". I need a "heads-up" so I can check the event posting. I need your phone number in case I need to reach you regarding your event. If you can't call for some reason, or in addition to calling/texting, you can send me an email through the web site (click on "Contact us" under the group organizers area, left margin) and a quick note, INCLUDING YOUR PHONE NUMBER, that you have just posted an event. In the subject line, put "I’m a new organizer" or "new event from..." or something like that. (But here is the thing, I get about 40 or 50 meetup.com emails a day and RARELY look at any of them... so really, use the cell phone. That's best!

1. Click on the banner immediately below the "Arts New Mexico" banner that says "Group Tools" , click on that and a drop-down menu will appear, the first option is "schedule a meetup". Bingo! Choses that.

2. Carefully enter the location, address, date and time.

3. Title the event, and in the "details" section, include the body of your posting. You will get more attention if you add a photo. Click on the tiny little picture frame next to the letters and formatting options to upload a graphic from your computer.

4. If you are charging for the event, you must include the fee or sliding scale donation information in the event description. To do this, simply fill out the section under "are you charging...", and check the box that say "collect offline" - meaning that folks do not pay me through the web site, but directly to you, the event organizer, in-person.

5. Please be thorough in your posting. Include an event location, time and place to meet, turn-by-turn directions (if it's a residence), how folks can find you (if it’s a public location) and your contact method, cell or email, in case a member needs to reach you regarding the event. If applicable or available, include a live link to a web page that relates to the event or the event location. AN IMAGE will really help you get attention and get folks interested in signing up. [First find & download an image that is relevant to your computer. Then click on the "picture framew/tree" icon next to the happy face and upload the image from your computer.]

6. In general, events should either be related to the art/music/performance world in some way - or be social get-togethers (meeting for food, drink, party, etc). If it's hiking, biking, yoga, dog walking, body building, etc... you should probably join another group and post it there. (There could definitely be exceptions to this rule. Plz contact me or post your event as an "idea" that seems relevant if you want to vet that out!)

7. I will not post your number to the event, it is for my use only. However, if at all possible you should include either your cell number or a phone number for the physical location of the event - so participants can reach you in case of last minute changes, they get lost, they have questions, etc.

Thanks everyone for joining and participating in this group. I hope you get a chance to put something fun INTO it and also get something fun out of it. Let’s grow it and have a great time!

- Crista
Chris (Crista) W.
Crista
Group Organizer
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 95
Due to a significant amount of confusion over the glass blowing event, and the fact that the poster was not responsible for starting the event on time, informing everyone of the changes (until after the fact), or leaving me with the requested direct contact number... I will be re-considering the open posing policy.

On Feb 15, 2015, partly as a reaction to changes that Meetup.com has instituted over the way it manages dues, I changed the event posting protocol so that "only organizers can post events" ... all that means is, read the information on the "Discussion" tab regarding how to post an event, then contact me at 505 440-6293 and via email with a request to be an event organizer. PLEASE INCLUDE A CONTACT NUMBER.

It also means that, upon completion of 2 or more events... I will "comp" your annual member dues in appreciation of your participation as an organizer! I really rely on all my great event and co-organizers to keep this group thriving and appreciate your participation. If you are charging money for your events or workshops then I just ask that you voluntarily contribute by paying dues or by clicking on the community donation link and contributing any amount you see fit...

Thanks for your participation!