Atheists and Agnostics of Richmond Message Board Random Discussions › How divisive is religion in your life?

How divisive is religion in your life?

Jamar R.
user 12549474
Richmond, VA
Post #: 3
I am the only open atheist in my family. My wife was brainwashed into religion as a young child and I fear that it will one day destroy our marriage. Her blind faith means that I can never question a single verse in the bible or she breaks down in tears. She has lied to her entire family and I am never to talk about my rational thoughts.

How was religion in your family affected your life?
A former member
Post #: 85
I was your wife. I grew up in the same kind of environment - luckily I finally figured out it is all a bunch of hogwash. However, because most of my family and friends are still drinking the kool-aid, I remain in the closet for fear of being shut out of their lives. They are basically good people, and my relationship with them is more important than speaking out. I hate it though, that I can't speak my mind about something that brought me so much freedom, happiness and relief.
Roberta Q.
kayak.chick
Richmond, VA
Post #: 51
When I announced that I was divorcing my abusive husband (physically, sexually and emotionally), my only living relatives (aside from my children) told me that I was sinning and that I needed to stay in that abusive marriage. When I didn't, they shunned me. To this day. And when I left that church (because they said that I should just submit to my husband's wishes and then it wouldn't be forced), I lost all my friends. So, religion poisons family and friends.