Herman T.
user 10402868
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 6
I am sort of new to this, inspite of having been a member for a couple of years. Too busy doing my thing. However, I was wondering if any of you have ideas on converting believers. Personally I am an evengelical Atheist, live in NE Georgia and continuously get into trouble telling good Christians they are suffering delusions. Some believe they are too good to be true and others feel they are so bad and so guilty that they need to ask the old-man-in-the-sky to forgive them. I try to be gentle with the latter type and remind them that jerking off is OK and sleeping with your neighbors wife, is OK too, as long as she is not my wife. . .
By-the-way, my thing is writing short stories. In case you are interested, look it up at Amazon. So Long Europe, Hello South Africa is available at Amazon and B & N.
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 40
In my opinion, actively trying to convert people is not what we should be doing, except by setting an example in word and deed and by responding when provoked and helping where needed. The fact that some religious believers of all types, throughout the world and throughout history, are or have been evangelists or evangelizing does not justify that we should do the same. Respect for the beliefs of others, for me, is a fundamental moral principle.

Moreover, suggesting that sleeping with another's wife is OK is not part of any atheistic philosophy that I have experienced. Indeed that sort of issue is a personal matter and is no way related to a set of beliefs, whether atheistic or non-atheistic. Some religious people may think it is....maybe that's why some of them evangelize?
Christy B.
user 24364922
Conyers, GA
Post #: 1
I agree....Sigmond Freud, though a committed athiest, understood that most of human's psyche want's a god/afterlife. I agree with him, most human's are not ready to give up a God. I don't seek to convert people into abandoning a psycological defense mechanism. We need to show them how athiesm means tolerance and acceptance of other ideas, and how religion can sometimes hinder and impede intellectual/scientific progress ( although not always as many great scientists like Faraday and Mendel etc. were devoutly religious). I feel my job is to show them how secular humanism can replace their many outdated ancient "morals" ( Afterall, slavery was endorsed or permitted in all the Abrahamic religous texts). As if a "god" really cares what food we eat or how we dress......
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 41
Good logic, Christy. I would add that rather than questioning others' beliefs, we should be challenging their behavior. As an example, if the gods are omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then why is it necessary for believers to worship them?
On another unrelated point, one of the most famous French atheists, the philosopher Michel Onfray, has published a book which basically undermines the scientific basis of the work of Sigmund Freud. Indeed he likens him to a fraudster! Just shows that atheists do not necessarily agree on everything....
Christy B.
user 24364922
Conyers, GA
Post #: 2
[QUOTE]Just shows that atheists do not necessarily agree on everything....[/QUOTE]
True Danny, I like to think athiests are less dogmatic about our own internal philosophies than most religions. I would say the exception are some sects of buddism ( my original background coming from Asia) which tends to be more philosophical and accepting of differing beliefs anyway.
Tina
user 10232895
Cleveland, GA
Post #: 3
Are there other atheists in North East GA???? I feel so alone here tongue I don't feel the desire to convert anyone here, but would like to feel like I am not the only non believer in town.
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 42
[QUOTE]Just shows that atheists do not necessarily agree on everything....[/QUOTE]
True Danny, I like to think athiests are less dogmatic about our own internal philosophies than most religions. I would say the exception are some sects of buddism ( my original background coming from Asia) which tends to be more philosophical and accepting of differing beliefs anyway.

In fact most pre-Christian religions were/are more tolerant of the beliefs of others....
Christy B.
user 24364922
Conyers, GA

In fact most pre-Christian religions were/are more tolerant of the beliefs of others....

I agree, even pagnism, though sometimes quite blood thirsty, were very tolerant of others' worship of a competing diety.
Christy B.
user 24364922
Conyers, GA
Post #: 4

I'm in Covington, Georgia, same problem.
Athen F.
user 45604552
Atlanta, GA
Any atheist, I think requires a proper code of moral values. There are various philosophical ethical codes that are not grounded on the belief that God exists. To say that it is ok to sleep with your neighbours wife does not sound like a proper grounding in ethics. If it was ethically ok to sleep with your neighbours wife, then the social fabric of a moral society is at risk, since families are a large component of social fabric, therefore, one should keep in mind that this type of carelessness will put any society at risk, in terms of family structure and proper behavior toward the opposite sex under certain conditions (like a married woman).

One component of ethics is too teach man of short term impulses vs. long term considerations.