addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Science Tavern Message Board The Atlanta Science Tavern Discussion Forum › Complex, Multicellular Life from Over Two Billion Years Ago Discovered

Complex, Multicellular Life from Over Two Billion Years Ago Discovered

This message board is read-only.

Ernie C.
user 7596470
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 12
I recently found out about a FASCINATING bit of news I thought I would share:

http://www.sciencedai...­

In fact, this is the most interesting sciencedaily article I have seen in years!
Josh
jsgough
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 64
That is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing that Ernie.
Here's a blurb from the article:

"The discovery in Gabon of more than 250 fossils in an excellent state of conservation has provided proof, for the first time, of the existence of multicellular organisms 2.1 billion years ago. This finding represents a major breakthrough: until now, the first complex life forms (made up of several cells) dated from around 600 million years ago."

Wow!
Ernie C.
user 7596470
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 13
Yeah... and when I first read that I thought it was another example of certain scientists hyping up their discovery in sciencedaily, which is basically a collection of press-releases (and not `news', as the website's name would suggest). But then I went to Nature, where the article referred to in sciencedaily appears, and discovered that it indeed is on their front cover. It appears to be the genuine article!

http://www.nature.com...­