addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Science Tavern Message Board The Atlanta Science Tavern Discussion Forum › AST Open Tap Night: Open Discussions plus Focused Topic: How Can Individuals

AST Open Tap Night: Open Discussions plus Focused Topic: How Can Individuals Improve Their Scientific Literacy?

This message board is read-only.

Josh G.
user 7498547
Atlanta, GA
Calling All Members!

Announcing: Atlanta Science Tavern "Open Tap" Nights

Atlanta Science Tavern’s slogan is "Where knowledge is always on tap", and so we want to tap all of your brains now!

What is an Open Tap Night?

An Open Tap Night consists of two parts, each designed to foster group discussion and fun, educational conversations about science:

Part 1: An Open Discussion where you, individual group members, set the agenda for discussion for about 5 to 10 minutes at a time before the next person gets a turn. You can also use this time to deliver a brief presentation about a science topic. (More details in a second).

and

Part 2: A Focused Discussion on a specific topic. This first event's topic will be: How Can Individuals Improve Their Scientific Literacy?

How Will the Open Discussion Work?
In the Open Discussion time anyone in attendance can "have the floor" for a short time (about 5 to 10 minutes max) to either:

Set a specific science topic for the group to discuss

* or *

Deliver a brief presentation about a science topic

How Will the Focused Discussion Work?
In the Focused Discussion time we will stick with the selected topic and brainstorm and share our own personal ways that we maintain or improve our own scientific literacy. We can post links, books, resources on the meetup page ahead of time so that other people can become more familiar with sources that other people use to help spur discussions.

We Already Have a Bunch of People Signed Up!
Thanks to those who already signed up in person at the last event! We have 12 people already interested to come out and talk science.

When Will This Event Be Scheduled?
Because we have 12 people signed up already, I want to see how many others of you will be interested. Once I know that, I'll contact that subset of members directly and try to figure out a time and date that satisfies most interested people and conflicts with as few as possible.

How Do I Sign Up?

Just respond to me (atlsciencetavern gmail com) and let me know:

A) A topic you would like to personally discuss with the group briefly

or

B) A topic you would like to personally deliver a brief talk on (no projector, no slides)

or

C) Whether you'd just like to come and listen and then participate in the focused group discussion after the Open Discussion time.

AND, don't forget:

What are some ways that you personally stay scientifically literate, and what thoughts do you have about improving the state of scientific literacy in our communities and our country?

More About Scientific Literacy in America
Want to read up on the problem of scientific literacy levels? Check this out first:

http://www.sciencedai...­

and

For some thoughts on improving this, check this out:

In a similar sense, this is the exact idea of an Open Tap night is all about. So, let's have fun with this!

Even More Details for the Detail Oriented...

What Can I Personally Present or Discuss During the Open Discussion Time?

Have you recently:

• Taken a course / read a fascinating book or article / listened to a podcast about theoretical advancements in a scientific field or science applied through technology?
  • Watched a movie or documentary that portrays science properly, poorly?
  • Attended other events, either in Atlanta or elsewhere, related to science and wish to let others know the gist of it?

Or, are you:

• A working scientist who would like to share some information about your work, but not necessarily have to spend an hour or prepare a presentation to do so?
  • An undergraduate or graduate student in a scientific field who would like to discuss a topic you know about or are interested in?
  • Someone who is generally interested in advancing the state of scientific literacy amongst your fellow citizens?

If so, then we and your fellow AST members would love to hear from you at an Open Tap Night!

Thank you!
Josh