The Atlanta Macintosh Users Group Message Board AMUG Events/Announcements › OS X SIG - Tues (And Ramblings)

OS X SIG - Tues (And Ramblings)

Todd D.
user 11859725
Atlanta, GA

AMUG SIG Night

When: Tuesday, April 30, 7 p.m.
Program: OS X SIG (Special Interest Group) -- Where we discuss all things Apple!
Facilitator: Jay Cann, Chief Technology Officer, Macquarium
Description: We discuss the latest Apple news, third-party products, and then do Q & A.
Location: The Macquarium Building, 1800 Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309 404.554.4000[/url]
Tip: Don't park on the property unless you want to make a huge donation to Lanier Parking. There are two $3 lots across the street or some clever attendees have been known to park in the lots of nearby restaurants (after enjoying a nice meal, of course).
Questions: Todd Daniel - 678-567-2052[/url], cell 404-218-0924[/url]

Outlook 2011 - Help!

Of all the software products I've ever used I can't think of anything worse than Outlook 2011, except for its predecessor, Entourage. On the plus side, I like Outlook's advanced rule features and category options.

For weeks now my Outlook has been slow to load and slow to search, plus it's loaded with annoying quirks. I've tried rebuilding the database and re-indexing countless times. It's like a junkie -- it works better for a while but then the software is back to its bad habits.

With Outlook, Microsoft has invested millions to better torture its customers. Here are a few of my favorites:

Search - If you're looking for an old email be careful. If your search term is something common, Outlook simply locks up for several minutes. Apple designed the spinning beach ball of death just for Outlook. Your busy work day suddenly comes to a halt, and you're thinking, "Should I smash my computer and go back to 3x5 index cards?"

Mark As Read - Okay, I either right click or hit Control+T to mark an email as read. I don't need to really open it because I see it in the Preview pane. But Outlook doesn't like that. I'm convinced that Microsoft engineers studied Viet Cong torture tactics -- the idea is to torture the consumer almost to the breaking point, but then stop so that you can torture them again five minutes later. So, I mark an email as "Read" and my hard drive starts grinding and clanking, and a minute later it shows up again as "Unread." I repeat the process several times with the same results. Thank goodness my neighbors are used to seeing me run down the street screaming.

•  Message History - With old emails it's nice to see the conversation thread. In Outlook there's a message along the top of your email that says "You replied to this message." The idea is that you can click on this link to see your reply. But alas, it never works. Every time an update comes out I keep hoping they'll fix this feature, but it never works. It's like Robot on Lost in Space, who had all those buttons and switches on his chest, but they never did anything.

Having used Outlook on both the PC and Mac, and Entourage (also known as the email client from hell) I can only describe the product as an epic fail. Folks keep telling me to just use Apple Mail, but that doesn't have all the advanced features I like. I've played with Thunderbird as well -- fast, but missing functionality. If anyone can recommend a substitute for Outlook I'd be most grateful. Of course, I am a bit annoyed because I paid good money for Outlook, and, well, I kind of expect it to work. So, if anyone has any tips to make using it a less miserable experience, please let me know.

-- Todd Daniel, AMUG President