add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Austin Clojure Meetup Message Board › Reader Literals and Macros

Reader Literals and Macros

Wayne R.
user 5389114
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 5
I was thinking more about this, and I don't see a benefit to using a macro as a data literal handler. The reason I heard for wanting this was to avoid evaluation of the arguments. However, this is all happening at read time and the arguments handed to the specified handler are only read -- not evaluated.

This means the function you provide is very much like a macro already. It's passed a read form which it can then transform into a different form which may or may not be evaluated later.

Here's a pointless demonstration :)

;below (+ 1 2) is eval'd before 'type' is called.
user> (type (+ 1 2))

;below (+ 1 2) is read, but not eval'd yet when 'type' is called.
user> (binding [*data-readers* {'type #'clojure.core/type}] (read-string "#type (+ 1 2)"))

Next month's macro discussion will almost certainly have to help us tease apart the R and E in REPL :)

Norman R.
Austin, TX
Post #: 29
Right. The macro would get the exact same quoted form as the reader function:

user> ((juxt type count) '(+ 1 2))
[clojure.lang.PersistentList 3]
user> (defmacro useless-macro [expr] ((juxt type count) expr))
user> (useless-macro (+ 1 2))
[clojure.lang.PersistentList 3]

I still don't understand the entire read/eval process. Depending on what direction John goes with his macro talk, I could definitely see a presentation that deconstructed the REPL. I still can get confused by things, especially around namespaces. Maybe we can put this on the topic wish list...