addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin Clojure Meetup Message Board › Clojure Cup ideas

Clojure Cup ideas

Dar M.
user 107909402
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
An online IDE sounds like a lot of fun and would be very appealing to the audience. It also does seem much more feasible than some of the other proposals. Design and testing is somewhat simplified since we are also the target users. Here are a few similar projects which may be helpful to review...

The online REPL, Try Clojure, utilizes the clojail library to protect the host environment. Chapter 10 of the ClojureScript book also provides a simplified example of a browser based REPL. Relevance has open sourced an example chat application as part of their Pedestal framework which may be helpful.
James
user 7494696
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
This might belong in another thread, but oh well.

Does anyone have a strong opinion about how we should set up the server(s)?

The distro options are Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Arch, and Fedora. For a "real" server from that set, I'd be inclined to go with Arch, based on reviews. Since I've never actually used (much less installed/configured) that one, I'm tempted to recommend Ubuntu for simplicity and release cycles that give us something like relatively up-to-date software.

The next big question seems to be "which JDK?" I'm inclined to vote for the latest Oracle 7, as evil as that company is. I've had good luck with it. The installation pain may take away any advantage associated with using Ubuntu. I don't have any experience there...the closest I have is trying to get any sort of fairly modern JDK installed on Debian.

Then we get to the question of web server. Does anyone think it's worth taking the time to install something like apache or nginx? I can't imagine we'll need anything more than netty or http-kit for this, but I'm definitely not a sysadmin.

Then we get to the question of the web stack. I know that's going to really depend on what sort(s) of app we decide to work on, but it seems very worthwhile to pick something ASAP so those of us who are less fluent in this area have some time to get up to speed. (I've heard great things about Luminas, but it's a very different beast than Pedastal...and I'm not sure how you'd get either working with http-kit if we decide we want to use that).

Actually, that last should have probably been at the top of the list. Digital Ocean supports docker, so we should be able to just configure a container and drop it into place to deal with all the other details. If my limited understanding of docker is even close to reality. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

Norman R.
normanrichards
Austin, TX
Post #: 50
I just sent out an email to everyone who confirmed. I suggested we try and meet in person this weekend or on a google hangout to finalize choices. I also sent out an email to everyone who didn't confirm, just to verify their status.
Norman R.
normanrichards
Austin, TX
Post #: 51
Thanks for taking some time to look at what the deployment options are for DigitalOcean.

On the distro issue - we use arch at Threatgrid. It's not for the faint of heart. Ubuntu is probably the safest choice. I don't have any strong preference, and I think we have enough Linux experience to deal with anything.

I haven't had any problems with OpenJDK. It's really easy to get it going on Ubuntu. (and I assume all the other distros)

I would suggest using nginx as proxy to a "lein ring server" if nothing more than it allows you to run your clojure app in user space instead of as root. I can share the nginx config I use for that. I have one leftover from the pi-game immutant demo app. Immutant is also a good alternative to a plain ring server.

I think Sam has some experience with Luminus. Nobody in the group has mentioned using Pedestal yet.

Paul B.
user 39181122
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 6
I've been developing something similar as a never-ending side project. It has a shareable REPL via WebSockets, and it can read pastes from gist and refheap. You can't use existing code for the Clojure Cup, but maybe it will be useful in the design phase. You can play with it here:
http://cwo.io/...
Github repo is here, use the branch 'paste', it contains the latest code:
https://github.com/pb...­
It uses ring/compojure and aleph/lamina for websocket support. Front-end is ClojureScript using jQuery and Bootstrap. It uses clojail as the evaluation sandbox.

Unfortunately I don't think I can allocate enough time that weekend to participate in Clojure Cup, good luck everyone!