Austin Liberty Coalition Message Board › New Meetup: Students for Liberty Conference 2009
Announcing a new Meetup for The Austin Liberty Coalition!
What: Students for Liberty Conference 2009
When: October 24, 2009 8:00 AM
Thompson Conference Center
2405 Robert Dedman Drive
Austin, TX 78712
CHECK OUT THE SPEAKERS AND TRAINING AT THIS EVENT!!
'This event is brought to you by the Libertarian Longhorns and Young Americans for Liberty of UT-Austin.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
Student Registration: http://www.surveymonk...
Non-Student Registration: http://libertarianlon...
The Texas Conference will feature:
* Great Speakers
* 3 Free Meals
* Activism Training
* Networking with leaders of the liberty movement
* A Free Evening Social Event
Texas is well known for its liberty-loving roots. Time and time again Texans have stood and risked their lives to fight the forces of oppression. What better a place to join with your liberty-minded friends and celebrate the philosophy of liberty.
We invite all libertarians to participate in the SFL-Texas Conference, especially student libertarians from universities across Texas. The conference will feature expert speakers on topics such as the foundations of liberty, liberty and the economic crisis, and strategies for advancing freedom. On top of the great speakers and company the conference will feature three meals (free for students!) and an evening social event. Literature packets will be presented to all attendees.
The entire conference is absolutely free for students. There is a registration fee for non-students, plus an optional charge if you want food provided for you (otherwise, lunch and dinner are on your own). We highly recommend staying for both meals so you do not miss the local activism panel and the evening speaker!
IMPORTANT: In order to get an accurate count to the catering service, we request that every attendee pre-register! This includes both students and non-students! Go to our registration page to purchase your pre-registration or to sign up as a student.
We hope you will help make this conference a great success, even if you’re note planning on attending! Please consider supporting libertarian students from all over Texas through your generous donation via ChipIn.com.
SFL Texas Conference Speakers
* Keynote Address: Thomas E. Woods, Jr., Ph.D. – New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse. He is a senior fellow at the Ludwig von Mises Institute, and holds a bachelor’s degree in history from Harvard and his master’s, M.Phil., and Ph.D. from Columbia University.
* Gene Healy - Vice president at the Cato Institute. Healy was the formerly senior editor of the Cato Institute, and was responsible for reviewing and editing policy studies and other publications. He is a contributing editor to Liberty magazine, editor of Go Directly to Jail: The Criminalization of Almost Everything and author of The Cult of the Presidency: America’s Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power.
* Mary J. Ruwart Ph.D. - Former pharmaceutical research scientist and Assistant Professor of Surgery. She has worked extensively with the disadvantaged in low-income housing and was a contender for the 1992 Libertarian Party Vice-Presidential nomination and the 2008 Libertarian Party Presidential nomination. She continues to serve on the Libertarian Party National Committee. She is the author of Healing Our World in an Age of Aggression, hailed by Visions Magazine as “what may be the most important book of the decade.”
* Anthony Gregory – Editor in Chief for the Campaign for Liberty and a consultant for the organization. He also a researcher at the Independent Institute, a columnist at LewRockwell.com, a guest editor at Strike the Root, a blogger at Liberty and Power and a rock musician.
* Gil Guillory – Research associate at the Molinari Institute, whose mission is to promote understanding of the philosophy of market anarchism as a sane, consensual alternative to the hypertrophic violence of the State.
* Nigel Ashford – Senior program officer at the Institute for Humane Studies. He joined IHS from the United Kingdom where he was professor of politics and Jean Monnet Scholar in European Integration at Staffordshire University, England. He is author of Principles for a Free Society, which is now available in six languages.
* Local Activism Panel Discussion with some of the most distinguished activists in Texas:
o The Institute for Justice – Texas Chapter – Matt Miller
o Texans for Accountable Government – Chuck Young
o Texas Public Policy Foundation – David Guenthner
o Students for Concealed Carry on Campus – Daniel Crocker
o The Libertarian Party of Texas – Pat Dixon
Click here to see the most up-to-date schedule for the conference.
Student Organizing Committee
* Norman Horn – University of Texas at Austin
* Justo Montoya – University of Texas at Austin
* Daniel Crocker – Blinn College
Ready to come? Go ahead and pre-register today!
We’d Like to Thank Our Generous Donors…
If your business or organization would like be listed on this page and in the program as a sponsor of the SFL-TX Conference 2009, please contact us today! Current sponsors include:
* Travis County Chapter of the Libertarian Party of Texas
* Brave New Books of Austin, TX
* Anonymous donors from LibertarianChristians.com members
Learn more here: