addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin Geeks and Gamers Message Board › new and enthused

new and enthused

A former member
Post #: 4
hey all! I am Andrea (dre is fine) and i am super excited about joining the geeks and gamers team! i have tons of ideas and free time so this should be fun all around! here are some things ive been throwing round in my head:

1) soft game party. booze, old consoles, multiple televisions. you lose, you give up the controller and move to a different room. lots of smack talking. champion named at end with prizes.

2) texas rennisance (sp) fair is every year beginning in the fall. costumes!

3) dallas comic con...went last year, lots of panels and celebrities signing stuff. again, costuming

4) there is a steam punk ball thrown in san antonio but im not 100% on it yet

5) slumber parties!! this is a hold over from childhood cause i wasnt a cool girl and never got invited to slumber parties. they can be co-ed or girl only, but bad movies and pizza and jammies would be minimal requirements

6) viking parties, holiday parties, ninjas vs pirates, (did i mention i like costumes??) straight up nerd party complete with pocket protectors and flannel (yes, really. know your roots people!)

7) comic book and super hero cocktail party. get dressed up in your finest duds, sip wine, and defend your chosen super hero dogma verbally tooth and nail in lively debate over appetizers and elevator music

8) active nerding: pinballs, air hockey tournaments, pool tournaments, trampoline dodgeball, kickball,

9) inactive girlie nerding: stich and bitches, tea parties, sewing circles, general "hey, can you help me sew ruffles on this Kayle costume and i will lend you my parasol for your Innara" kinda stuff

10) general dinners or drinks at resturants and bars with a group of people you have something to talk with about and wont stare at you like a moron across the table because they didnt play that obscure game youre currsntly obsessed with, cause we have. (that was a run-on...sorry bout that.)

ok, so i am not pc or table top games hardcore, but i will learn and expand as we all get to know one another more. feel free to email me and shoot me your ideas or scheduling any time.
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 73
Dre - I love your creativity! I think these all sound fun, and there is only one real way to tell which ones will fly. Schedule one and see what happens! Let's start with #1 and work our way down the list.

We don't need to wait for the fall and the TRF. Sherwood Forest Faire is much closer and starts this week. We definitely should do that soon.

We should definitely go back to Pinballz soon. We did a Pinballz meetup last fall and had a great turnout. Time for another one.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Dre. I am eager to hear what the rest say.

Chelsea B.
Nacogdoches, TX
Post #: 3
Girlie nerding sounds amazing! I love costuming and have always wanted a sewing circle.
A former member
Post #: 5
thanks for all the feedback everyone!!

i am booked solid until after valentine's day, however, the robin hood faire comming up as well as a soft gaming greet are probably gonna kick off my events. let me get solid on scheduling (and get my ducks in a row) and i will get this party started...

tentatively friday the 22 for number 1 on the list. considering its what we do most fridays, we may as well make it a party.
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 74
Just don't wear yourself out so much on the 22nd that you can't come to share movies at my place on the 23rd!

A former member
Post #: 6

feb 20th at fast eddies is a "geeks that drink" pub quiz event. they are done all over austin. is anyone into pub quiz?? should we make a regular team??