addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Backyard Skeptics Message Board › Bible Study????

Bible Study????

Bruce G.
brucegleason
Group Organizer
Villa Park, CA
Several members have requested me to setup a visit to Bible study groups within our area.  The objective would be not to argue or debate, but to politely converse with Christians on their turf, and 'plant the seed of doubt' by asking though-provoking questions.  I've done this before and have had Christians follow me out to the parking lot afterward with many questions that obviously are pointing to doubting their faith.

I'd have one of these events per month.

Email me at bruce@backyardskeptics.com

Bruce
Jan R.
user 10208348
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 6
I'd certainly be interested, only I probably couldn't make it every month.
Sarah Z.
user 8760645
Mission Viejo, CA
Post #: 1
I would also be interested.
A former member
Personally I think this is like a Nobel Scientist veiwing a wicka meeting in search of knowledge. At best the book is inaccurate and worst it is the leading cause of death in the world. I'll pass and stick with science and facts that pass peer review and discression.
A former member
Post #: 16
I might be interested, though unlikely to go every time.
Cary C.
CaryCook
Tustin, CA
Post #: 42
Definitely interested. I enjoy attacking and defending both sides.
Sonni H.
Sonni
Riverside, CA
Post #: 18
Honestly, this sounds as despicable as bible-thumpers knocking at my door, trying to convert me from my beliefs. LET them have their stupid faith... they have constitutional rights to believe in their tom-foolery. I hate the idea that we free-thinkers feel we need to force-feed the ignorant masses. (This is a reply to Bruce's post, not Cary's, I'm not sure I posted this correctly. ;-P)
A former member
Not to toot my own horn, but I think you might want to bring me along. I was a Christian for about 12-14 years and went to bible studies for all of that time. I eventually left the church because I started to see through the b.s. I haven't gone to Bible studies for a long time, but maybe it's time.
A former member
Post #: 2
As to Sonni's comment, I can definitely see your point. Understand that those Bible thumpers come to your door because they think that they are doing God's will and saving people from eternity in Hell. They are entitled to their opinions and to share them. We are also entitled to share ours (if they welcome non-believers). I haven't gone to a Bible study since becoming an Atheist because I was afraid it would be awkward to do so, but on the other hand it seems like a good idea to save them from being brainwashed and trust me, that is what goes on in these Bible studies. They play their mind numbing music, put social pressure on those that attend and then tell them they will burn in Hell if they don't follow. This is why people follow such nonsense. It might be a good idea to discreetly point out the flaws. I'm willing to try this at least once to see how it goes.
Cary C.
CaryCook
Tustin, CA
Post #: 43
Steve,
I had a much better experience with Bible studies (including one at Newport Beach). They were the one place I could find Christians (damn few, but some) willing to discuss hard questions. I'm way beyond that level now, but at the time, Bible studies furnished the best discussion available. I hope to see you there.