Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › 5 Fingers

5 Fingers

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Guys,

Do any of you run the Vibram 5 Fingers Classic? I haven't tried on any Vibrams yet, but based on my research, I was planning to purchase a pair of SKOs until recently. Now I like the idea of having the least amount of material between myself and the ground. Any experience? I am just a little concerned that the back fastener might not keep them taught enough to run well. Thanks in advance!
A former member
Post #: 2
I wear them and like them for cold weather, but I haven't tried any of the other models. I don't have a problem with the back slipping when running, but maybe I'm lucky with the good fit. It does slip in the water, so I don't know that I'd recommend them for swimming.
Ludovic
ludo
Portland, OR
I currently have the VFF Trek and although I like the soft feeling of the leather, I found them too tight on the upper foot so I thought getting the Classic also.
Tried them once and they felt really minimalistic but read few times that some people are having problem around the Achilles tendons because of the elastic in the back.
I felt that pressure so I think that the Sprint would be a better choice.... and like Ben said, especially if you wear them in water.
Hope that helps.
A former member
Hey, I have the FF Sprint, which I like a lot. I can't imagine not having the elastic strap because they hold my toes back.
One problem I had with the five fingers when I first started using them, is the shape. They assume everyone's big toe is the longest, where my longest toe is the one one next the big toe. So I had a problem of that toe getting a little crushed when I ran. Now, I push my heel back into the shoe and hold it in place with the Sprint's elastic band.

Oh, I also recently got the Injinji socks, which I highly recommend. They don't make my FF stink or stained with sweat, and also feel really cool.
A former member
Thanks for all of your advice. I am going to try some on this weekend and try to make my decision.
A former member
Post #: 9
As far as the least amount of material, I think the KSO and the classic have the exact same sole, it's just the upper that's different.

I have KSOs and I wear them for all sorts of things (not an avid runner, yet) and I never feel constricted in any way.