Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › Centaur 10K Trail Run Report

Centaur 10K Trail Run Report

george
Landegger
Mamaroneck, NY
Post #: 8
I ran the Centaur 10k trail run in Rockefeller State Park in Sleepy Hollow, NY Saturday.

Since I didn't know the conditions of the trails, I asked a shod runner advice about trail conditions to determine if I would run barefoot or with VFF. This was a clear mistake, which is obvious in retrospect. My advisor said the trail was mostly packed dirt. In reality, the trail had plenty of granite aggregate to improve traction when wet. Needless to say, the trail's surface was a real challenge for a barefoot runner, which I was.

During the run, I felt like an ascetic monk who tortures the body to achieve a higher spiritual meaning. At mile 3, I didn't know how I could finish, but being a circular course, I didn't have a choice. To make matters worse, every time I came to a steep hill, the trail had additional granite aggregate. Walking while an option, didn't make sense because it would slow me down and prolong my ascetic punishment.

Throughout the run, I focused on good form. By good fortune the finish was on grass, so I at least looked good at the finish.

After the run to my mild surprise, my feet didn't have any visible damage, but were tender.

darnell
darnellc
Tuckahoe, NY
Post #: 242
nice job sticking with it, george! you're an animal :P next time we do some barefoot trail running i'll try to last more than 100m... but I'll be bringing my training wheels (VFF's) just in case :P