addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › Should We Have Presence at John Edward on 1/16/12?

Should We Have Presence at John Edward on 1/16/12?

Allen
AllenCohn
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
I saw an advert that John Edward will be speaking at the San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront hotel on 1/16/12.

Do you think it would be a good idea for this or any of the local atheist groups to have a presence there?

I suspect not:

* the attendees would probably be very unreceptive to skeptical thinking
* might make us appear to be "angry atheists" yet again

Then again, there might be PR opportunities if this is handled *very* carefully

Allen
Wendy
user 9892369
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 275
What would be the purpose of showing up? What will Edwards be speaking about?
Susan F.
user 11220914
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9
The event is listed as a "group reading", with Q&A sessions and "messages from the other side", i.e. cold reading & BS.
Miltown H.
Vinny832
Pittsburg, CA
Post #: 39
I understand that people are paying $225 per seat, and probably hundreds more for actual "cold readings." Since they're dropping that kind of money, I agree that the attendees would probably not be receptive to opposing viewpoints. (A recent MIT study showed that, the more you pay, the stronger the placebo effect. I'm assuming that is probably true for psychics as well as for medications.) Hotel security probably wouldn't be thrilled about us being there either, especially if we're not paying.

On that basis, I'm inclined to think that we should leave them alone, let them do their own thing on their own time. If this were happening in a public school or government-sponsored event, I'd feel differently.