Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › City of Santa Monica considers law to display only "religious displays&

City of Santa Monica considers law to display only "religious displays" in parks

Joey P.
JoeyPiscitelli
Martinez, CA
Post #: 4
Tomorrow at 5:30 the City of Santa Monica is considering passing a law to only allow the posting of "religious displays" in City parks at "Christmas" time. This is at the request of a Christian activist group called- Liberty Council.

I have sent a letter to the City Council. You may want to as well.

Letter to City Council of Santa Monica
Dear City Council,
I read with astonishment that you are actually considering limiting displays on City owned property to just “religious displays” only. As a victims advocate, I feel compelled to remind you of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution, which clearly states that the establishment of any religion over others shall not be endorsed. This would include the provision for equal treatment to non-religions.
Allowing religious organizations to free speech is one matter, but intentionally leaving out certain beliefs in favor of others is a violation of the very intent and purpose of the Constitution. I am sure that you know that, but many Christian organizations are making the claim that the USA is a Christian Nation, which is contrary to our federal law.
To quote the first president of the USA, George Washington on June 7th, 1797:
Art. 11. “As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws...”
It appears clear that this founding fathers own words debunk the myth that the Christian religions dominate the constitutional rights of all other religions or non-religions in our country. The groups that spend millions of dollars nationwide to over-ride and to dismiss the true intent of our Constitution have proven to be categorically and predominantly Christian - and their motivation to establish only Christian Doctrine on public properties is evident throughout the country.
I think it would be wise to respect the beliefs of all people, and not take a step backwards and buckle under pressure and trample the constitutional rights of minority beliefs. Our country is not ruled or owned by a religious majority, and the act of shredding the Constitution to establish inimical favoritism is an act of bias, and bigotry, in addition to an act of unpatriotic disrespect for civil equality.
I believe you may very well want to create an atmosphere in the City to please all the citizens, but that will never be possible; especially when certain beliefs are criticized and
religious zealots will not budge from their stand.
And that is the very reason why our constitution was written, because wise lawmakers realized over two hundred years ago that government should not endorse favoritism, and the establishment of a particular religious doctrine is historically proven to be the direct cause of most world conflicts.
Government should not mix with religion, and the separation of church and state should always be respected. I think you should make your choice based on the Constitution, and not on the radical opinions of the religious groups who claim that this country is undeniably only theirs. The word “Equality” really means “Equality”; it does not mean that “Non-religious people are not equal to religious people”.

Thank you,
Joey Piscitelli
925-262-3699