Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › Changing the non-secular holiday Thanksgiving Day to a secular one called &q

Changing the non-secular holiday Thanksgiving Day to a secular one called "Thinkgiving Day"! A letter to my family and friends

Bonnie J B.
user 44992062
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
To my dear family and friends, Sat. Nov. 17, 2012

To ThinkGiving Day and the rise of reason.

It occurred to me, in looking forward to getting to see my family on the upcoming, non-secular, government sanctioned holiday that some changes are long over due. So in the spirit of change I am proposing that from now on we refer to Thanksgiving Day as ThinkGiving Day, simple little typing change, i in place of a and drop the s. But what an enormous difference in attitude and philosophy, this tiny alteration of the word might make.

For example;
What if, instead of thanking some unknowable deity in accordance with a Stone Age doctrine for the abundance in our lives, we think about giving to the billions of other humans and animals whose unknowable deity withholds these abundances in their lives, (such mysterious ways).
Or rather than thanks to __________(fill in deity of choice) we think about the thousands of farmers but more importantly the farm workers who toiled through grueling hours to bring you this meal.
And perhaps we should give more than a passing nod to the Native Born people of this land who gave up their place in it for our benefit and our way of life.

So, if you are inclined to bow your head in reverence to some mythical being in the clouds I hope you will not marginalize what I’ve said here because it comes from me. I know I’m thought of as a bit out there by my family and friends, however, to quote a Chinese fortune cookie I opened recently “all progress occurs because people dare to be different”.

I’ll leave you with one more thing to think about, this is a poem I wrote recently:

The Power in Myth
By BJ Bogert 7/2012

The power in myth, how its’ roots run so deep,
Purveyors of stories, have too much to reap,

A whip for one man and the other the welt,
Permission for daddy to get out the belt,

Reduces the value of women to chattel,
Makes silly old men kiss snakes with a rattle,

Gives rise to beliefs that no fool could resist,
And no matter how hateful, won’t cease to exist,

The one at the pulpit calls some of you wrong,
The book that he reads from, says you don’t belong,

Don’t think for yourself, he said “do what I say”,
And don’t watch too closely, “I lie when I pray”,

The power in myth, though it may not be faster,
Is no less destructive than natural disaster,

The havoc it visits on poor and on weak,
Not out weighed with mercy of which they all speak,

So please, if within you, there is a whole brain,
Enough common sense to get out the rain,
A heart that’s so big you share others’ pain,
Take heed, with great speed, get off the myth train!

W/Love and in friendship,
Bonnie, Mom, Gramb