Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › New Event: Nothing - Something To Believe In

New Event: Nothing - Something To Believe In

A former member
Announcing a new event for Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Brights/Humanists/Fre­ethinkers!

What: Nothing: Something To Believe In

When: Friday, November 16, 6:00 PM

Non-CFI Members: USD10.00 per person

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description:

Center For Inquiry | San Francisco presents:

Nothing: Something To Believe In

With Nica Lalli

In this intimate, funny, and sincere memoir, Lalli chronicles her experiences while confronting the broader issues of faith, tolerance, and respect in the confusing religious landscape of America. With touching humor, Lalli reflects on her childhood memories full of mishaps and misadventures with religions and true believers: bargains she tries to make with God, 'Jesus Freaks' who try to get her to go to church, and teenage skiers more interested in Bible-thumping than hitting the slopes. In her adult life, her difficulties with religion continue as her family?s spiritual ambivalence conflicts with a new, Christian in-law. In the end, Lalli finds the courage to define what she is rather than what she is not. By delving into these universal themes through the lens of family relationships and the culture of 'God Bless America,' Lalli finds that nothing is a philosophy to be embraced rather than feared.

"...so I just want to know--what am I?" "We're nothing." My father was looking right at me; he had a pleasant, friendly kind of an expression. "Nothing," he said again.

Nica is a working artists and art educator who currently lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn with her husband, two children, and Milo the dog. She was the President of the PTA of her children's public school for two years and remains involved in the schools. She also sits on the local Community Board, where she serves as the Parks Committee Chair.

Admission is free for 'Friends of the Center'
$10 for general public

We will be heading over to Cafe Bastille after the program

Learn more here:
http://atheists.meetu...­