East Bay Classic Fiction Book Club Message Board › No-Shows/Late Cancels

No-Shows/Late Cancels

Closed to new replies

Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Post #: 47
Hi and welcome to the Bay Area Classical Fiction Book Club! I am thrilled at the interest in this group and can’t wait to meet all of you! As you may have seen, our group is already very large and will continue to grow. That is news for celebration! Our success as a group is something to be proud of because it is the member base that makes or breaks a group. You may have also noticed that we already have a waiting list for the first month of around ten people. Therefore, I’d like to take this time to initiate no-show policy since this occurrence may present a challenge for our group.

As I have mentioned previously, this is casual book club but I want to prevent no-shows (and late cancellations) to events because of the impact they have on everyone, from the organizer to the person on the waitlist to the venue itself. Our group will be holding one-two events per month with about 25 seats per event; we already have over 65 members, so there are very few seats for a group this big. Each time someone signs up for an event and then doesn't show, it deprives another member of a slot. Even a cancellation after noon the day of the event makes it difficult for other members as it allows them very little time for planning. In addition, no-shows impact the restaurant as they affect their staffing/resource planning for the night, and can hurt their revenue since they blocked out an assumed # of seats (& space in the restaurant) for our event that may deny walk-in patrons from eating there at the same time as us. No-shows also impact the organizer as they have to explain to the venue why the # of seats reserved were not filled.
That being said, I understand life can be filled with unexpected events and that these events can negatively affect your attendance. However, these should be extremely rare and it takes very little time and effort to update your RSVP. Accordingly, I will be instituting a no-show policy.

What's Considered a No-Show?

• Not showing up to an event that you RSVP'd "YES" for.
• Guests (+1, +2, etc.) who don't show. (you ARE accountable for any Guests, if applicable to the event).
• Cancellations after the designated cancel time of an event (cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the meet-up time). This is a Late Cancel but still classified as a no-show.

What Happens if a Member No-Shows or is a Late Cancel?

• I will classify the member as a No-Show/Late Cancel. It will reflect the date the No-Show/Late Cancel occurred.
• If a member is in good standing for a 3-month period: the member will be removed from the No-Show/Late Cancel list.
• If a member No-Shows or Late Cancels a 2nd time within a 3-month period: the member will be removed from the group.

Note: Certain events may be exempt from the No-Show/Late Cancel policy. These events will ALWAYS have the "Maybe" RSVP option available. Generally, these are events, like happy hours, where the member's attendance and arrival time do not inconvenience the organizer, other members or the venue.