The Bay Area Collective Intelligence Meetup Group Message Board › Game-like Interface

Game-like Interface

A former member
Post #: 13
There has been a lot written on the subject of game interface. There are entire book on how to make them more intuitive, more enjoyable, easier to use. Many of these same techniques are being applied to Collective Intelligence applications. One I've been playing with for a while is at:

http://news.us.newsfu...­

Using prediction markets to predict things like Emmy winners and election results. It has been suggested that there is enough material here for a discussion thread, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling. Anyone else have examples, ideas or half-baked notions about using game-line interface for Collective Intelligence?
A former member
Post #: 14
I googled “game interface design” and got over 27million hits (haven't go through all of them yet). One was looneygames.com with a Guest Editorial by Harry “Het3” Teasley.

http://www.loonygames...­

He makes a number of excellent points about interface design that can be applied to Collective Intelligence interface.

“What is a game? A game is an environment where you make decisions that change the environment, and making these decisions is a Fun Thing to do. The game’s interface is the language you use to speak to the game.”

If the interface is fun, it'll engage the user, they'll keep the adding content. If it is fun, fatigue is less and the user makes better decisions. If it feels tedious, if it doesn't engage the user, their attention drifts away and the make poorer decisions, adding less intelligence to the collective intelligence.

Making the decisions fun can help to solving the “free-rider” problem. The free-rider problem arises from an individuals self interest and the fact that the increasing size of the group can lower the cost of not participating. Imagine a group of people rowing a boat. If there are only 2 people rowing, it becomes pretty obvious if one of them isn't working very hard. With 20 people, it's much less obvious and with a hundred, it's almost impossible to tell. But when the 'free-rider's' neighbor notices he's not doing any work, they'll tend to slack off as well. Soon more people aren't contributing and before long, only a handful are doing most of the work.

If (in this case) rowing is fun, in and of itself, then there is less tenancy to not contribute.

“Games are usually made up of several big, and hundreds of small decisions. . .and these sorts of decisions are achieved usually by making many little ones. . .The player makes a bunch of small decisions, and they make them over and over, hundreds of them perhaps, between the major decisions. The interface for making the small ones should be as invisible as possible.

There is a lot of good material in this article. I'll post more from it and others.

If you have thoughts about using game-like interface for Collective Intelligence, feel free to jump in.
A former member
Post #: 3
I created a thread about my mouse-music AI software that I plan to become a Collective Intelligence:

Thread title: "Human moves mouse to control realtime generated music which
artificial intelligence (AI) changes to try to control Human's hand on mouse. AI
translates music problems to programming problems, organizing Humans
unconsciously through internet to build" (AI)
http://www.meetup.com...­

Eventually I will use some open-source softwares to connect Nintendo Wii controllers wirelessly to a computer and use their dimensions the same way mouse X and Y position is used now.

Each Wii controller is small and can be held in 1 hand. Like the Segway with 2 wheels that lets lazy people roll around instead of run, each Wii controller can detect acceleration and turning in 3 dimensions, for a total of 6 dimensions per controller. If you hold 1 in each hand, you have a 12 dimensional game input.

Instead of listening to the music and dancing to that, dance to create the music, which will create different kinds of dancing. In that way, you and AI together will create a strange-loop that creates more strange-loops and creates better AI and music software. Theoretically, by using your movements and music as a 2-way communication between people and AI, AI can learn how your unconscious mind works and copy parts of that into new AI software.

There will be no rules or winning or losing in this Collective Intelligence game. Nothing to consciously control. Just buy as many Wii controllers as you and your friends can hold, and start the Java code and music evolution. Start dancing, and it just works. Literally, a collaboration between dancing people writing and using more Java code per second on 1 computer than the total of Microsoft can write all all their computers in that same time. Today, Audivolv already writes Java code and uses it on-the-fly. I'm only talking about doing it faster, smarter, and with Nintendo Wii controllers to add the dancing interface. A game interface. No extra AI code needed. Its already general enough to learn interactions between any number of dimensions and simple behaviors of movement in them.