San Francisco, CA
Post #: 17
discussion removed...
Ronnie J.
user 36783912
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Good afternoon Paul,
I am actually working on doing my first century ride in Sept for the MS ride. I like your suggestions. The one thing I have trouble with is eating while riding. I can eat small soft chewy stuff but have a hard time finding the right moments to eat solid foods. So I usually stop to eat solids.
What types of foods are good to eat during a long ride? My last 60 mile ride here is what I had
-Cereal for breakfast-F&E Cranberry
-3 power bars-peanut butter
-1 20oz bottle Gatorade
-Almost full 70oz of water
-2 Balance Bars- Carmel nut
-3 Gu Strawberry/banana
-1 power energy bar
-1pk power gel bites
-I had about 20-30oz of water left and one 20oz Gatorade. 2 power bars and one balance bar, some chews left over.
I should have had a better breakfast but the Balance bar saved me at the end of the last 10 miles. I was about to bonk out. What would you add or take way from this?
I also have a goal of 100 miles a week so far I average about 60-70 miles of commuting here in SF with an occasional long ride from 40-60 time permitting.
Wayne K. D. M.
user 36371032
San Rafael, CA
Post #: 3
Check out www.echelonridersclub.org website see the Articles Tab for information on training nutrition and what to do the week before a century or long ride
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 18
No, please don't. I did not start this discussion with the intention of sending members of this group to the Echelon website.

The top internet authority on ride nutrition, is www.hammernutrition.com. But I am not sending riders there as yet. For the time being discussion will take place here.

Wayne, in general, I think you are over-egging the pudding, so to speak.

Paul
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 19
deleted
Ronnie J.
user 36783912
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
Thanks Paul for your reply,

I have done a lot of research on nutrition and recently just finished a basic nutrition class. What you are saying seems to confirm what I know about nutrition before, during and after cycling. I also never really thought about stopping to eat being a bad thing. Makes sense though.

You did give me ideas about how to eat smaller bits, for example while the energy bar is cold you could cut it up into smaller parts. I'll have to try it but if it's cut with the wrapper it should be easier to handle.

I have not tried the electrolytes capsule. Do you just use these with water? Do you use the capsules instead of a sports drink? If I am not mistaken we get our electrolytes from salt correct?

"I like a can of Coke" I am hypoglycemic and caffeine hurts more than it helps sometimes. So I stay away from it while riding. The GU doesn't have caffeine in it and I don't use anything like five hour energy either. I haven't had any stomach issues while riding, thank goodness. I stay clear as much as possible from caffeine. I would think the sweetness of a coke would upset your stomach more. Another idea, what about mixing bubble water with,say, Gatorade. Or even just mix it with sugar. You still get the benefits of the sugar and carbonation.

For you whats a good pre-ride meal? I also try and eat an extra good dinner the night before, not sure if it helps. Have you tried any homemade nutrition bars? From what I have read so far on raw cacao powder it could be a good natural energy boost without caffeine.

I know I ask a lot of questions. I still have a lot to learn about nutrition and other things. My normal diet has changed also since I started cycling, especially over the last year when I started getting really serious about it. This is a whole separate issue, out of curiosity anyone know of any good non corn products?
Thanks,
Ronnie
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 20
post deleted
A former member
Post #: 47
Ronnie-
before I did my first Century I found this book very enlightening.

http://www.amazon.com...­

a while ago I went to Sports Basement and got single servings of a bunch of energy bars and drink mixes. I tried them on training rides and found foods that worked for me. everybody's different, we can also change from year to year.

a bento bag like this one is a great way to eat while you ride

http://triathlonlab.c...­

I could write for pages on planning for a Century, I'll save the talk for a ride sometime.

-Mike G
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 21
Mike,

I don't haev time to go visit Amazon.com, but if you felt inclined to recite the three or four most enlightening points from that book in this discussion list, I'd love to read them here.

Cheers, Paul
Ronnie J.
user 36783912
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Well I was hoping more would join in with this discussion. I think for some this is a very good start to any riding, short or long. I have learned something from this and will try the suggestions for eating.

I do like the suggestion Mike about the bag, great idea. It’s funny you mentioned it, I just seen one of these yesterday on my ride home. I was also planning on going the long way home today and stopping by Sport Basement to see what they had for nutrition and some other things I need. I think you have ESP or something LOL.

I have not read any books like this Mike sounds like a good read. It’s a good magazine to.

Now that we have a good start on nutrition I would like to talk a little about some of the training needed on the bike (physically). I use mapmyride to plan routes and keep training logs. I have been trying to follow a training plan they have for centuries. I do go to the Polo Field track to do some flat land training. This has helped me also find a good comfortable gear with a maximum speed. It also helps me to know how a high cadence feels in different gears. I don’t use all the high tech gadgets just a speedometer to watch my speeds. I am sure everyone has different needs. I have been told the most important thing for a century is to just spend time on the bike but I like to be prepared as much as possible. Plus it just makes you feel good.
Could you guys explain what some of this means? This is directly from the plan for a 15 mile ride.
“HOP (Hour Of Power) 87 to 90% of Max HR with a cadence between 50-55 (RPE 6-8) -- WOB (Weights On the Bike) is 87-94% of Max HR with a cadence between 40-45 (RPE 6-9)
Warm-up 30' to 45' - Your choice of: 30' at HOP - 10' WOB, 30' HOP 20' easy, then repeat HOP for 20' (RPE 6-7) --or -- 3 times 25' HOP 5' WOB no more than 15' between HOP/WOB set (RP 6-9) --or-- 4 times 15' at HOP 5' WOB no more than 10' between HOP/WOB (RPE 6-9) - Easy rest of the ride”
Is this for someone that would be using power meters, cadence and heart rate monitors?