align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Bend Photographers Group Message Board › copy rights and privacy of photos

copy rights and privacy of photos

A former member
Post #: 4
I am reposting (and I hope I don't mess this up too badly) emails I sent to all the Organizers and Assistant O's (O&AOs) querying their thought on the need to and methods of keeping posted photos from being reused. I probably should have made this a thread to begin with.

Here 'goes. I will post them in sequence as I receive them. Preferably, responses ought to be made here. \m/

I am addressing this query to organizers and assistant organizers in order to get feedback and help in setting up a place where we can share images that satisfies the needs of as many members possible.

It has occurred to me a few times when posting my pics on web sites such as this site or Flickr, that it might be possible for anyone to download the original file.

I am relatively inexperienced with Flickr and unsure about the privacy settings on Flickr. Visiting the page that Delano has set up for us: http://www.flickr.com...­ I have found that one can download original files at will.

I personally have a little problem with that. I would like to be able to post images and not allow downloads without specific permission to do so.

Do other members have any concerns about this and ideas or feedback they would like to offer?

John C
A former member
Post #: 5
From Delano

Strictly speaking, if you post it on the internet, someone can 'steal' it.

I've started watermarking my images to make a little less of a problem, not that it stops it.

Check your privacy settings under your account on flickr and choose who can download files, mine is set to friend and family only, that means only contacts i've added as friends or family can see all sizes. Groups tend to flex some of the rules with privacy stuff, but the downloading restriction should be in place.

A former member
Post #: 6
Delano,

Thanks for the feedback. And, looking into it further, I see that originals may only be downloaded from a PRO account. As I become more familiar with how Flickr works, I am getting a little more confident about the privacy settings and the restrictions that can be placed on who can see, therefore download, all sizes.
A former member
Post #: 7
Skye Astiana
to me

This is a big deal-that peoples images can be downloaded without permission and/or compensation. I have been watermarking all of my proof images I send to potential clients via Photoshop & Lightroom. My websites are Flash, so the best quality one can get is a screen grab, virtually useless for any repro. For sites such as Facebook I use low rez-72 dpi-2x4 JPEGS or PNG screengrabs, also useless for repro. Depending on what softwares group users have, there may be ways to watermark imagery. Perhaps a Facebook Group would fit the bill?
A former member
Post #: 8
From Amber

Thanks for bringing this up, John. I'm not familiar with Flickr's privacy settings either, but am open to sharing photos wherever. I think Meetup makes it easy since everything is in one spot, and an album is automatically created for each meeting, but there are no privacy settings other than making the entire group private.

When it comes to the web, I personally think if someone wants to steal one of my photos, they'll find a way to do it. I just accept that now. :) But I do see the value in having private albums as well.

So I guess my input is that it doesn't matter to me. I'll probably continue to upload to Meetup, but would be interested in hearing what other people think.

Amber
A former member
Post #: 9
From Amber:

If we were to use private Facebook or Flickr albums, how would we make them known/available to people on Meetup?
A former member
Post #: 10
Delano would probably be the one who could answer that, eh? It seems like anything one adds to the POOL is public and can be downloaded by anyone. The answer would be to watermark everything like Delano does, but that detracts from the image, while making it useless to plagiarize.

One would have control over who has different access rights to photos on one's own page, however. I guess your site could be added to your profile to make it visible and access right could be granted to members of Bend Photographers Group as friends and family.

aaargh. Nothing is simple. I don't see how to restrict access to photos on Meetup Groups. Maybe that should be discussed with the people who put this together.
A former member
Post #: 11
From Delano:

You can create a set on flickr and put all the pictures in it, set all the pictures to private, and then create a guest pass to the set. This allows anyone that clicks on the guest pass link to see those pictures.

Downside to this is that if you post the link in a public place, anyone that clicks on it can see them.

Another way to accomplish this would be a flickr group with a private photo pool, and members are invite only. This way you can control who is able to enter the group, once in the group they can see everything in it.

Personally, I already post most of my pictures on my flickr account (watermarked) and I probably wouldn't have any intention of posting them a second time anywhere else. However if we have a private group, then all we have to do as a flickr user is add the photo to the group where people can look.