The Berkeley Quantified Self Meetup Group Message Board › Berkeley QS Show&Tell #1 (Flowspace) Follow Up & Info

Berkeley QS Show&Tell #1 (Flowspace) Follow Up & Info

Gary Isaac W.
GaryIsaacWolf
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 28
We had our first Berkeley QS Show&Tell meeting last night. Thank you to everybody who came and contributed. I promised to follow up to start a discussion about what we might do in our new QS group, and that's what I'm doing here. First, some practical info:

Attendees: 35
Paid: 21
Amount collected: $105
Refreshment cost: $88
Funds remaining: $17 (I will give this to the refreshment fund for next time, plus some drinks and chocolate!)

I noticed four themes that got special attention last night: facial recognition, language tracking, life-logging, and mindfulness. Life-logging and mindfulness are common themes in QS Meetups, and I think we will continue to learn and discuss actively. Facial recognition and language tracking have come up a number of times in the Bay Area meeting, but the density and depth of the interest last night was unusual. I think it might be good to have a themed meeting on each of these topics, giving us a chance to explore them more thoroughly.

There will inevitably be some growth in our group, which is welcome, but I also enjoyed the chance to have a smaller meeting in a more casual style. One idea I have is to hold a series of topic focused meetings, designed to be smallish (25-35 people), perhaps monthly. People can pick and choose what topics interest them. Then we can use our material from these meetings to program a larger QS Meetup, perhaps every 3-4 months.

Most importantly, I want to repeat my invitation to join me in serving the group through helping plan the meetups. The logistics are very easy. And a huge thank you to Sean van Stade for hosting us at Flowtoys and for showing us his fascinating work, and for Phil van Stade for co-organizing!
Max
mmaaaxx
Oakland, CA
Post #: 25
Thank you so much Gary, I thought this was one of the best QS meetups I've attended!

I'd also like to add one "theme" that seemed common and that is "autobiography" or "life story." While this has similarities to "life-logging," I think there is a difference in purpose and scope. The autobiographical tracking I am describing, is more of history of self and can go back even to our ancestors as Stan's incredible presentation showed us.

thanks again-
Max
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for a great meet up Gary and Phil! Sean, FlowSpace was really really cool and comfortable. For the record I'd happily second interest in Emotion Recognition (vs facial recognition) and mindfulness, topically and materially.
Phil von S.
user 32811202
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Gary,
Only my second QS, but I agree it was very worthwhile, especially with the smaller group, which allowed for lots of engagement and creativity. I agree that the only way to keep these small is to have a focus each meetup, though it could be broad.

You mentioned 4 themes. I'm not sure exactly what 'mindfulness' is? Life-logging seems to break into two distinct areas - those tracking biological rhythms and trends and those tracking activities/memories. This latter area is my own interest focus. There are many aspects to both, and the large QS Meetup in SF Feb 23 featured 5 presentations on biological tracking. (Though there are overlaps, of course, and Hugo's wonderful food photos were great!)

With all the QS meetups done, is there a summary somewhere that shows the major themes/categories?
Cheers!
Phil