addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bible Study for Heathens Message Board › Genesis 42-50 Part 2

Genesis 42-50 Part 2

Andrea P.
user 54086232
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 23
Joe: To me it is Interpolation, Interpretation , manipulation 19:52

Andrea: Ah, yes. Rachel being buried in Bethlehem. The Catholics said it was more like Jerusalem. 19:52

Joe: What 14 means anyway? 19:53

Andrea: I'm not sure. 7 is a very spiritual number. I was reading just the other day that 7 is the maximum number of things you can remember in a list. Fewer than that you can remember just fine, but more than 7 and you'll forget. 19:54

Andrea: Fascinating. 19:54

Joe: I remember that 7 + 2 =9 19:56

Joe: I remember that 9+2 is not 13 Shall we try Algebra? 19:57

Andrea: Rachel was married to Jacob. She was buried in Bethlehem, which literally means "house of bread" (thank you, Google). Bethlehem later becomes King David's home town and even later on, where Jesus is born. 19:58

Andrea: Jeez, their families wandered and wandered for hundreds of years and never left the same area. 19:58

Andrea: Kind of like Kentucky. 19:58

Andrea: I flunked algebra 2 years in a row in high school. I'm proud of that. 19:59

Andrea: When I Google "who was king David" I get no results. 20:00

Joe: How fun... Kentucky...Is it near Bethlehem? 20:00

Joe: Also, do you think that they wandered for hundreds of years in circles? 20:02

Andrea: No, it seems like they went back and forth from one area to another, but always in the same general region. 20:03

Andrea: Second, I finally found some info on David. 2nd king of Israel. 20:04

Joe: Here is a Rabbinical interpretation: God did not want slaves to go to the promised land, but the next generation of free people. 20:05

Andrea: And in chapter 47, the people become slaves in Egypt because of the famine. 20:06

Andrea: Are these the same people or are we talking about different people? 20:06

Joe: Those who left Egypt died in the desert, those who were born out of Egypt were free people who deserved some real estate 20:08

Joe: Same people 20:08

Andrea: Okay. 20:08

Joe: The People of Israel then (& Now ) 20:09

Andrea: I like how Israel adopted Joseph's children and made them his and became part of his line and his kingdom. 20:09

Andrea: Not necessary for any spiritual or biblical reason, but because of the message it sends about adoption. 20:09

Andrea: Bringing a child who isn't yours into your home, calling them your children, and they become entitled to everything that is yours. It's a very nice message. 20:10

Joe: True 20:10

Joe: The Bible is filled with Morality/ Immorality 20:11

Andrea: It makes me question why the mormons and Catholics insist on giving birth to such large families. Aren't there enough children out there who need homes and love? If adoption was good enough for the father of a great nation, than it's good enough for the mormons. 20:11

Andrea: Oh, but then we might have to employ the use of birth control and that's a sin. 20:12

Joe: To fulfill god's command of "Multiply" 20:12

Andrea: But "multiply" can be done through adoption, the bible just showed us that. 20:13

Joe: Multiplying is more fun for the Mormons 20:13

Joe: I just saw that in Ch 51 it says: Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.... 20:15

Andrea: Chapter 51? I'm on 49. Hang on, let me catch up. 20:16

Joe: How could he know him the one who died maybe before he was born? 20:16

Joe: This is bad politics on the part of the Israelites...They failed to keep in touch with their hosts. Too bad they didn't have a Facebook to help them 20:19

Joe: If you don't have a smart phone, at least they could send a messenger on a Camel: they paid for it by being slaves. 20:22

Andrea: Do you mean chapter 50? Because I only have 50 chapters. 20:22

Joe: Genesis has only 50 Chapter, I am sorry, I did jumped ahead here, being anxious to prepare for Moses. 20:24

Andrea: Hang on, let me pull up a map. 20:24

Joe: Sorry Andrea, You take it away. 20:25

Andrea: Abel-Mesraim is "beyond the Jordan" as described in the bible. Is that the nation of Jordan? Cuz it's right next to Israel. 20:25

Andrea: I'm in chapter 50. Abel-Mesraim is "field or mourning of Egypt" as described in the footnotes. 20:26

Joe: It is some Donkey crossing out in the desert 20:26

Joe: Hebrew meaning: Messengers of mourning 20:27

Joe: Mesraim can mean "Egypt" too 20:29

Andrea: Oh really? That's interesting. 20:29

Joe: What the significance of this anyway? 20:30

Andrea: So basically, Genesis was all about cramming in some lineage and some lessons to set the stage for the nation of Israel. 20:30

Andrea: I just thought it was interesting that the bible states literally "beyond the Jordan". Unless that's a river. 20:30

Joe: How Insightful 20:31

Joe: It is a River they refer here to 20:31

Andrea: Ok. map time. 20:32

Joe: Agreed 20:32

Andrea: Got it. 20:32

Andrea: Sort of anti-climactic. 20:33

Andrea: They crammed a LOT of stories into Genesis. 20:33

Andrea: I'm amazed that all the stories I've ever heard were all from Genesis. 20:33

Joe: We need to get ready with Moses v Pharaoh 20:33

Andrea: In a couple of weeks. I'm going to cancel chat for the next 2 weeks. I'd like to type up all of our notes and comments on the discussion boards and distribute them. I need some time to get that done. 20:34

Andrea: Hey, it's Josh! 20:34

Andrea: Just in time. We're done. 20:34

Andrea: 20:35

Joe: Moses, the adopted Son of Egyptian Royalty who almost destroyed Egypt 20:35

Andrea: Sounds like some good drama. 20:35

Andrea: Josh, do you want to breeze through our chat and join in? 20:36

Joe: C U Next Time Andrea. i am ready to go. 20:37

Joe: It was a nice discussion Andrea, Thank you. 20:37

Joe: Have a good night & goodbye. 20:38

Andrea: Have a good night! 20:38

Andrea: And Josh left! 20:38

Andrea: Or maybe he got kicked out... 20:39

Joe: 20:39

Andrea: He's back! 20:39

Andrea: Joe's gone! 20:39

Andrea: Wow, the excitement! 20:40

Andrea: Josh is gone again! 20:40

Andrea: Josh is back and he's green! 20:41

Andrea: I can keep this up all night, Josh. 20:41

Andrea: Josh is gone...AGAIN!!! 20:41
Joshua
user 20310701
Eden Prairie, MN
Post #: 7
I was trying to beam in from the Starship Enterprize, but the Di-Lithium crystals were just not powerful enough to give me full access to the chat. Sorry about that. :)