Melbourne Boardgames group (party and strategy games) Message Board › Feel like a gate-crasher...

Feel like a gate-crasher...

Mike
Mike.S87
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 3
Hi All,

I guess I'd better introduce myself - my name is Mike and I'm a recent graduate of Swinburne TAFE. I'm a bit of a hermit / social recluse, so I thought I'd dip my toe into the Meetup arena and see what happens.
I've been a member of Meetup since June but I haven't worked up the courage to go to one yet; I just always get this feeling that I'll be like some sort of gate-crasher going to a meetup out of the blue.

I've always loved board-games but they've mainly been confined to the classics - Chess, checkers, monopoly, game of life and a couple of others. I'm absolutely open to seeing what else is out there! :)

was just wondering if people would be ok having a complete stranger show up to your next movie session? If it's already a set thing, that's cool :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mike
Stuart
user 12376055
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 23
I wouldn't stress about it. We were all strangers to each other at some point; the whole point of groups like this is to let people meet others, in an open fashion. Pick an event that's convenient for you, and come along; we don't bite, and there are plenty who are more than happy to teach games to others.
Christopher
user 11666442
Group Organizer
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 60
was just wondering if people would be ok having a complete stranger show up to your next movie session?

Err "movie session" ? hehe ;-)

Hi Mike,
maybe it's hard to tell from the outside, but especially with the larger events like "Cafe Games", we have *many* brand new "strangers" turn up to *every* event. As you haven't signed up for any of the events, you've probably missed the comments people have put on the events saying exactly the same thing as you - that they've never come before, don't know anyone ... but shortly into the event they've already made friends :-)

It's unfortunate that you've left your announcement so late in the year, because we've had our last proper "Cafe Games" day for the year. I dare say the monthly Cafe Games is the most accessible of the games events here since it caters for the widest range of interests and types of people. We've had all the games "chess, checkers, monopoly, game of life" at Cafe Games events. There is the annual Cafe Games picnic in a few weeks though, but it's not quite the same (ie outside instead of inside). Proper Cafe Games will be back in the new year.

However if you're keen to learn some of the modern "Euro" strategy games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Powergrid, and so on ... we have a range of other clubs in this group that get together to play those games, and they're friendly people too ...

I'm one of the admins around here, so feel free to ask me any questions, or any of the hosts of any of the events :-)

Like Stuart has said: we all start off as strangers :-)

see you soon!
Christopher
A former member
Post #: 351
Been to a few meetups and found them to be a really friendly bunch!

But I can understand people being shy and nervous the first time. I'm sure we all were.

You literally turn up; either be greeted straight away by the happy people there or stand for a minute or two feeling awkward* until there are more people standing nearby you feeling the same who then join to make a game. Or see if you can meet with someone before for a drink or something? Then you have someone to go with.
(*feeling awkward as you're new and don't know whats going on or how it works)

Plus when I went the first time, for my first game there were 3 new people out of 5! So as they say - many new people all the time!

Another way to do it: it:
As they play at cafes and bars, it's easy!
Just go for a drink!
Observe and then join or not :)

But looking at the above posts. Chat with people on here and then meet up with someone before to go in with someone or know a face when you arrive (and the admins have to be the best people for this, they're always there! :)