Patricia
user 112432932
Southborough, MA
Post #: 1
I am new to cycling group and am looking to get a proper bike to get started and keep up. Any suggestions on where to go and what to buy? Thanks
Brandon
BrandonS
Marlborough, MA
Post #: 4
My suggestion would be to pick a bike shop (or two or three) and try out a bunch of bikes. A good shop will take some basic measurements to figure out the proper size bike for you, and will let you test ride anything they have in store. Every bike brand and model is different so I'd really just say try out a bunch until you find one you like. Even within the same manufacturer, their different models have different geometries.

As far as bike shops, a lot of people in this group use Landry's which has several locations in the area. I've also heard good things about ATA Bikes in Concord and Bike Barn (a few locations).

Other than that, I have three suggestions.
First, decide before you go how much you're willing to spend.
Second, once you buy a bike get professionally fitted (most of the shops will offer that service discounted or free with a purchase).
Third, buy the bike at a shop, not online. You may be able to get a better deal online, but usually those bikes either aren't assembled well or require you to assemble them yourself, and you'll end up spending anything you saved trying to get the bike working well.

Good luck!
Patricia
user 112432932
Southborough, MA
Post #: 2
Thank you, Brandon. I went to Landrys over the weekend and they suggested the same, I will test drive a few bikes and decide which feels better. I appreciate your feedback :)
Greg B
Gregboch
Sudbury, MA
Post #: 3
For what it's worth, I have been extremely pleased with the customer service at Landry's. Not only in selecting the right bike and accessories, but also with the proper after care in the months following my purchase. They have been amazing. I mostly go to the store in Natick, but also have had great service in Westborough.