Unlike most industries (except for perhaps Education and Network TV) Fashion's New Year begins in the fall. New collections are presented at Fashion Weeks all across the globe and retail shops and boutiques stock up on the latest trends. Bible sized editions of Elle and Vogue hit newsstands and consumers shop for those must have items on display in the popular magazines.
Here at the Boston Fashion Meetup Group we too see this as a time to implement some fresh ideas as well as provide our members with new opportunities to network and learn within the Boston Fashion Community. Below are a number of changes that we will be implementing over the next few months.More networking events
- Many members have listed the networking that occurs during our events as one of the top reasons they enjoy our meetup. And since we believe in giving the people what they want, we will be hosting a free special event each month solely for networking and socializing in addition to our normal monthly themed events.
The first one is this month. Click here for more infoMore weekend events
- We understand that many members do not always have the time to make events during the weekday, so we will be creating special weekend events just for you. Monthly email newsletter
- Between the many talented professionals in our group to the the many events that we host and guest speakers we have; there is a lot that many of you miss. This has prompted us to create a monthly newsletter that will summarize events and profile a members work or business. Active members
- At nearly 700 members, our group is large and this can make it difficult to provide events that can interest and benefit the varying fashion constituents that this group is comprised of. To alleviate this issue we will be removing any members who have been inactive for more than one year. Meetup defines an inactive member as someone who has not visited the page for at least 6 months. Inactive members will have until the end of November to visit our site so that their status is changed. Membership Contributions
- For too long we have planned events by pre-paying for them upfront and then using the contributions collected at each event to pay for them. This strategy does not provide us with the kind of resources to plan larger events and book larger venues so that more of our members can come. Starting in January 2010 we will be asking all meetup members to provide a semi-annual $20 contribution which will go towards paying meetup.com, venue booking, bringing in guest speakers, and any other incurred costs that arise from keeping this great group up and running. More information will be announced about this as the date approaches. Workshops
- Learning is an essential element of this ever changing landscape that we call fashion. This fact has prompted us to begin planning workshops from local professionals. The first one will be next month hosted by Ron Ranere, experienced photographer and Asst. Organizer.
The first one is next month Click here for more infoExpanded Partnerships
- Over the past year the meetup has teamed up with great organizations such the MFA & DIGMA. We will continue with these collaborations as well as pursue additional ones that will have a positive effect on our group and provide opportunities for creative events. New URL
- You will no longer have to log into your meetup account and click on the Boston Fashion Meetup Group to find our page. Just type in meetup.com/bostonfashion to easily get to our page. Anti-Email Overload
- Every so often, one of our members sends out an email and forgets to hit the "replies go to me" button, resulting in a wave of email replies being sent to everyone. To alleviate this issue, all emails can not be sent without being approved by our team. The best way to communicate with the rest of the group should be through our message board.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let us Know.