Jan. 20th we had a very successful Designers subgroup that combined both this meetup (Boston Fashion Industry) and our sister meetup (Fashion 2010). We collected many questions that fashion designers want to know. Feb. 17, we are having another meetup for designers to answer the questions that I have organized into 7 Categories of Topics. I have added them below for designers to see, study and help us out. We need more designers that have a business that can help other designers with answers. IT IS ONLY FOR DESIGNERS, experienced or beginners, and Assistant Organizers. PLEASE HONOR THIS. There is NOT ENOUGH SPACE for others at this time. Hopefully, in March, we can start expanding for others.
Since it was confusing to have the Jan. meetup in two meetup groups we are announcing it in just one this time. If you are a designer and not yet a member of "Fashion 2010" meetup. Would you please join? Joining is simple if you click http://www.meetup.com/fashion2010/
Then you will see the "Fashion Design Meetup" and you can RSVP and get more information.
I truly look forward to seeing all of you who are designers.
_______________________________________7 Categories of TopicsAll the questions brought up on Jan. 20th, and those sent to us will be answered in the following categories. Each designer that can share experiences in any category will help other designers. It will show that each one?s experiences are different from others, and that there is no one formula for success.
1. For those who now have a business, how did you get started?
2. Do you have experiences with ?designing as solutions? especially in relation to consumer market research?
3. How have you approached pattern making, especially for production in building a line?
4. What are your methods for fabric sourcing, and do you have advice on the difficulties today?
5. How do you produce your designs, or get sewers ? and finding the right production equipment if you do it yourself?
6. What are all the methods you have used for selling your products? How did you choose them? Do you have any creative ideas for selling?
7. How do you do your costing/pricing to assure a profit while being the right price for selling?
Shirley, Assistant Organizer
[address removed] http://www.shirleywillett.comhttp://fashionsolutions.blogspot.com/http://www.linkedin.com/in/shirleywillett