Oregon Urban Farming Collective Message Board › Where we are gong

Where we are gong

mark l.
user 12256935
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Hello everyone there is over 280 of us. I took over this group because i hated to see it die as the organizers dropped out. I had mixed feelings about it because of my crazy lifestyle and time restraints and i was not sure i could keep up with it.

My name is mark ludeman . I have had a retail store in Beaverton oregong for 30 years . Called ludemans fireplace and patio. I am transitioning into a more sustainable lifestlye and have as a couple of years ago opened ludemans backyard farm and garden store. Where we sell baby chicks ducks and geese and promote organic gardening

I also have started a permaculture biodynamic oriented farm on just under forty acres outside of banks oregon up above buxton.

So with two full time jobs i have lots to do.

I would like to see this group keep growing but i well need help to do . So i am writing to the group ti see if this can happen. I have space at my store to hold meetings. I have a lot of things i have learned in different areas in my working on my farm. I also have some resources that others have shared with me to use for teaching.

We could do some things at the farm. I have lots of animals goats sheep cows pigs and poultry. I do generally work on weekends at the store though there is a chance of a sunday event if it is in march.

So what all would you like to see or do? How could you help create this community of learning?Would you like to see the farm and if so how can you assist with that?

thanks mark

P.S. There is some info about the farm at ludemans.wordpress.com and on facebook at ludemans farm and garden store
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking over, and trying to get this organized. I recently joined, but would love to help in any way possible. If you need anything, just let me know. If you're in Banks, you're almost my neighbor (I'm out in North Plains). I also think it might be a good idea to see how many people in this group would still like to be active? Maybe organize a meet and greet meetup, and see who shows up? I know I joined because I'm new to farming and wanted to learn and talk to people who, maybe, had more experience than I did. Plus, most of my friends are urban urbanites who wouldn't know what to do with a chicken if it bit them. So, if you want to do some community learning, I'd be all for that too.

Michelle
8_paws
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi Mark

I'm also excited to see you take this group under your wing! I am still very interested in being a part of the group, however, it is unfortunate for me that I live out on the other side of Portland (almost into Gresham). I've helped on several different farms in the States, and then last year I took the year off to backpack and WWOOF Europe. I currently am working for an Animal Hospital but have been trying to find a close farm (or coop) to volunteer at on my days off, but nothing within a half hour drive. Through my travels I learned to make yogurt, cheese (basic, nothing fancy), bread, butter, etc if these skills could help this group. I could make it to your Beaverton store for meetings, but days at your farm may be a bit more difficult for me.

Let me know if I can help and thanks again!

Michelle