addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bringing Science Back Message Board › OT: Volunteers needed for CrisisCamp to support relief efforts in Japan

OT: Volunteers needed for CrisisCamp to support relief efforts in Japan

A former member
Post #: 124
Hi all,

I know this isn't about science education, but I know a lot of you are computer-savvy and might want to help coordinate crisis response in Japan.

Tonight the CrisisCamp Silicon Valley is meeting at the Carnegie Mellon campus by NASA. It's basically a hackathon to support the GIS data to help coordinate relief results.

http://wiki.crisiscom...­

Last time, there were teams of coders working on the GIS database system itself. The non-coders like me were helping convert tweets and SMS messages into database entries showing the extent of damage and what relief was needed in specific locations. Based on experience, it helps to have someone familiar with the language and/or geography of the area, so Japanese speakers and ex-pats would probably be very helpful. I'm not one of the organizers, but thought it would be worth passing this along.

Kathryn